Nightingall, Arthur

Arthur Nightingall, who was born at South Hatch on 1st August 1868, succeeded John Jones at Priam Lodge, Epsom in 1895. 

Racing Illustrated, in the January 1896 edition, records, 
'As a horseman Arthur Nightingall has acquired very great and thoroughly deserved reputation. In France and Germany, as well as his own country, he is looked upon as a great master of his art.'
Arthur Nightingall, in his book My Racing Adventures states, 
'Riding, as alleged, runs in families, and it certainly seems to have been running very freely in mine for a long time past. We have cultivated a fine natural taste for jockeyship.'
Arthur Nightingall rode in fifteen Grand Nationals, riding three winners, a second, and four thirds. He also rode the winner of the Scottish Grand National. Arthur rode the first of his three Grand National winners on Ilex. He had ridden the horse to a comfortable victory in a Hunter Chase at Leicester, and recommended to the owner, Mr. G. Masterman, that he sent the horse to his father, John Nightingall at Epsom. Eighteen months later the partnership won the Grand National. In Ilex’s final gallop Arthur rode him for four miles around the Nightingall’s private racecourse at Walton Heath, and reported him as “a certainty.”

In 1893 Arthur moved to Heath House, and was training eight horses there that year, while still riding. His second Grand National success came in 1894, riding Captain C. Fenwick’s Why Not, who carried 11st.13lb. The Daily Telegraph recorded, 
'..That the result of a punishing race was in favour of Why Not was due entirely to the jockeyship of Arthur Nightingall.
Arthur’s third success came in 1901 on Grudon. The snow was so deep that the race was in doubt. Only five of the original twenty-four starters finished. 
Arthur Nightingall subsequently summed up his career, 
Not being satisfied with being actively employed as a steeplechase jockey which is occupation enough for three men until they are killed, I began to train racehorses, chiefly jumpers towards the back end of 1892.

I commenced to train racehorses in the stables formerly occupied by Robert l’Anson at Burgh Heath near Epsom. I had the great honour of training for His Majesty the King. On account of increased patronage and a larger number of horses, I was obliged to move to Priam Lodge, at one time I had no fewer than thirty-two jumpers. What amount of hard work that means for a man who is both a trainer and jockey.
He died in 1944, and his ashes were scattered on Epsom racecourse.