Jinjifore's Knitting Gallery--Page 7

Wee Socks and Wee Hats

[Index] [Page 1] [Page 2] [Page 3] [Page 4] [Page 5] [Page 6] [Page 7]

Wee Socks
Wee Socks

Pattern:"Wee Socks." Theresa Gaffey. Homespun Handknit: Caps Socks Mittens and Gloves. Ed. Linda Ligon. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press, 1987.
Yarn: Various small amounts of worsted weight wool.
Needles: 3.75mm (US 5)
Gauge: 5 sts = 1"
Knitting Time and Date Completed: 2 per day, completed 12/95
Notes: This is a bit of a cheat, since I made these socks years ago for my sister. But I'd completely forgotten about them until visiting her at Christmas this year, so I decided to add them in. These were, in fact, the very first socks I ever knitted, and they were a wonderful learning experience.

Chevron Lace Hat and Socks
Chevron Lace Hat and Socks

Pattern: "Chevron Lace Socks." Ann Budd. "Better Than Booties Baby Socks." Interweave Knits Summer 2005 website. "Chevron Lace Hat."
Yarn: 2 50g/195yd skeins Dale of Norway Stork (100% cotton), color #2 (off-white). (1 skein is enough to make the matching socks and up to the first decrease rounds of the hat.)
Needles: 2.0mm (US 0)
Gauge: 18 sts x 25 rows = 2"
Knitting Time and Date Completed: 2 weeks, completed 04/06
Notes: Boo and I visit the library at least once a week, often twice or more. When our favorite librarian got pregnant, I decided to make the baby the Chevron Lace Socks from Interweave Knits. I'd made them before, and this time decided to go with Dalegarn's 100% cotton Stork. It was such a beautiful yarn to work with that I decided to create a matching hat. In my initial design, I hadn't intended the lace to run all the way to the top of the hat, but as I worked the centered double decreases the lace pattern ended up fitting in between until the very end.

Chevron Hat Detail
Chevron Hat Detail

A closer look at the top of the hat.

Better Than Booties Baby Socks
Better Than Booties Baby Socks

Pattern: "Better Than Booties Baby Socks." Ann Budd. Interweave Knits Summer 2005: 99-100. Interweave Knits website.
Yarn: White socks--1 skein Bernat Lollipop (100% acrylic) in #99 [White]. Striped socks--1 (50g) skein Trekking Color Zitron (75% wool/25% nylon) in #33. 1 skein makes three pairs of socks.
Needles: 2.5mm (US 1)
Gauge: Trekking--9sts x 12 rows = 1"; Lollipop--8.5 x 12 rows = 1"
Knitting Time and Date Completed: 1 day each pair, completed 05/05
Notes: These are more socks from the same issue of Interweave Knits as the Chevron Socks. I used some Trekking sock yarn I'd had for years, and for some reason had only one skein of. It was a perfect project to use it up, and I like the effect on the little socks. I did modify the ribbed socks into 2 x 2 ribs instead of 1 x 1 ribs, because my 1 x 1 ribbing always looks horrible.

Crowns of Glory Hat and Garland Hat
Crowns of Glory Hat and Garland Hat

Pattern: "Garland" pattern from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. 252. "Crowns of the Glory" pattern from The Harmony Guide to 440 More Knitting Stitches. 64.
Yarn: No clue. The yarn was given to me sans ball band. It's DK weight, mostly cotton with, I think, some nylon.
Needles: 3.0mm (US 2)
Gauge: 6 sts x 9 rows = 1" over st st
Knitting Time and Date Completed: 1 day each, completed 05/05
Notes: A friend of mine made Boo a baby sweater when she was an infant, and gave me the extra yarn. It's a beautiful, soft cotton with just a touch of satin woven in. I'm always using baby hats to explore new patterns, and these were, I admit, not my most successful experiments. The Garland Hat turned out fine, but the Crowns of Glory Hat only looks good when worn, and even then is a bit lumpier than I'd like. Still, live and learn.

Travelling Leaf Hat
Travelling Leaf Hat

Pattern: "Travelling Leaf" lace pattern
Yarn: 1 (50g/165m) skein Dale of Norway Baby Ull (100% wool) in color #2203 [Dark Blue]
Needles: 2.5mm (US 1)
Gauge: 9 sts x 12 rows = 1" over st st
Knitting Time and Date Completed: 3 days, completed 02/06
Notes: I designed this hat for a fundraiser auction, but didn't get it finished in time and I ended up donating it to a local hospital. I made it to use up a leftover skein of Baby Ull, and I think I got a bit carried away with the size. I debated about whether to use a three-stitch or five-stitch gap between the "leaf" motifs, and ended up using the three-stitch, which I'd never really tried before. I wasn't sure I would like it at first, but in the end I thought the overall texture was very nice.

[Index] [Page 1] [Page 2] [Page 3] [Page 4] [Page 5] [Page 6] [Page 7]