Lecturer and Research Assistant Professor
Computer Science and Engineering Department
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
304 Davis Hall
Email: jmeng2 at buffalo dot edu
- I served as Area Chair for the IEEE Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP) 2018
- Our work on 3D object recognition was accepted as a spotlight paper to CVPR'18
- Our Distributed Composite Quantization work was presented as an oral paper at AAAI'18
- Our image hashing work was also presented at AAAI'18
- Our work on video summarization was published in T-IP'18
- Our hand gesture recognition work is the most cited paper of IEEE Trans. on Multimedia in the past 5 years according to Google Scholar
I recently joined the computer science and engineering department at SUNY Buffalo as a faculty member. Before that, I was a research fellow at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Before joining NTU in 2011, I was a Senior Staff Research Engineer in Motorola's Applied Research Center (former Motorola Labs), Schaumburg, IL, where I worked on a number of interesting projects such as mobile virtual worlds, liquid music and rich media service platforms.
My research areas include computer vision, multimedia, computer graphics, virtual and augmented reality, etc. I received the Best Paper Award from the IEEE Transactions on Multimedia in 2016. I am Associate Editor of the Visual Computer Journal (TVCJ). I served as Area Chair of the IEEE Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP) 2018 and Finance Chair for the IEEE Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP) 2015. I am a member of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CAS) Multimedia Systems and Applications Technical Committee (MSA TC).
I received my PhD degree in electrical engineering from NTU, M.Sc. in computer science from Vanderbilt University, US, and B.Eng. in electronics & information engineering from Huazhong University of Science & Technology (HUST), China.