I am currently a senior research scientist in the division of Psychometrics, Statistics and Data Science (PSDS) at Educational Testing Service (ETS). My current research centers on collaborative problem solving, game and simulation-based assessment, educational data mining & analytics, and automated annotation/scoring. I am currently co-chair the Research Advisory Council of PSDS to help set up research initiatives for next generation psychometrics and data science. I was leading the computational psychometrics sub-initiative of the FASP initiative from 2016 to 2017, and has been co-leading the software and data infrastructure sub-initiative of the game, simulation and collaboration initiative from 2014 to 2016. I am the principal investigators of several ETS projects, including ETS collaborative science assessment prototype (ECSAP), ETS platform for collaborative assessment and learning (EPCAL), and ETS assessment process data analytics solution (glassPy). I have done a fair amount of work to popularize science, mainly by translating some popular science book and articles, including the translation of Albert Einstein's masterpiece "meaning of relativity". This turns out to be a very useful experience when I started on NLP-based text mining and translation.
I got my PhD in Physics (2009) and MA in Statistics (2007) both from the University of Michigan. During that period, I developed a probabilistic clustering algorithm (GMBCG) and constructed a large catalog of galaxy clusters (the largest one as of its publication) based on the data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. Then, I spent four years at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) as a postdoc, working on the CCD calibration and data mining in the Dark Energy Survey project. I am currently also a visiting scientist of Fermilab and spending some spare time on the DES project.
Another line of my focus is about turning ideas to real things, i.e., project management. Ideas are floating everywhere, but we need to create concrete projects to turn the great ideas into reality. This is actually very challenging, requiring systematic thinking, compromises and balancing. Through years of work on actual data and hardware development, I developed a sense about what is possible and what is not and what are the pragmatic procedures to get things really happen.
Though my research interest seems broad, they all share a common trait: making sense of large scale & complex data and find the underlying principles. My research leads to some publications, see here for more details: https://goo.gl/pgggDK. For some complementary (sort of) information about me, you can check my linkedin page: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jiangang-hao/38/a90/69
I have some "human-understandable" work being reported by some popular media. These may be easier for normal people to understand some of my research. Click the following links to check the details.
- Wired Science: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/google-sky-galaxy-clusters/
- MIT Technology Review: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25965/
- Fermilab Today: http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive_2011/today11-01-06.html
- IOP News: http://www.instituteofplay.org/2014/02/press-release-glasslab-publishes-research-on-game-based-assessment/
- ETS News: https://news.ets.org/stories/got-a-problem-heres-a-21st-century-way-to-solve-it/
- Member of program committee
- 11th International Conference on Educational Data mining (2018), Buffalo, NY, USA
- 13rd Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (2018), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- The 16th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (2018), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- The 13th International Conference on Learning Sciences (2018) , London, UK
- 10th International Conference on Educational Data mining (2017), Industry Track and Graduate Track, Wuhan, China.
- 12th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (2017), Copenhagen, Denmark
- IEEE International conference on systems (2015), man and cybernetics, Hong Kong, China
- Workshops organizer
- Evidence centered design and computational psychometric solution for process data, annual meeting of National Council on Measurement in Education (2018), New York City, NY.
- EPCAL: computer-supported collaboration at scale, 12th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (2017), Philadelphia, PA. Workshop site: https://cscl17.wordpress.com/epcal-computer-supported-collaboration-at-scale/
- Evidence centered design and computational psychometric solution for process data, annual meeting of National Council on Measurement in Education (2017), San Antonio, TX.
- Session Chair
- Annual Meeting of National Council on Measurement in Education (2015), Chicago, IL
- Innovative Assessment on Collaboration (2014), Washington DC
- Journal of Learning Analytics
- Computers in Human Behavior
- Educational Assessment
- IEEE Transactions on Learning Technology
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Quality Assurance in Education
- ETS Research Report
- Educational and Psychological Measurement
- Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series (Impact Factor: 13.456)
- Astrophysical Journal (Impact Factor: 6.024)
- Physics Letters B (Impact Factor: 3.955)
- Astroparticle Physics (Impact Factor: 3.216)
- ETS Presidential Awards (2016)
- ETS SPOT Awards (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Most Valued Reviewer, Astroparticle Physics Journal (2011)
- Builder of Dark Energy Survey Project, DES collaboration (2011)
- GROCS Award, University of Michigan (2009)
- First Prize for the Advancement of Science & Technology in Shanghai City, Shanghai Municipal Government (2005)
- ONLY Fellowship, East China University of Science and Technology (2003)
- Outstanding Graduate of Shanghai City, Shanghai Education Commission (1998)
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student of Shanghai City, Shanghai Education Commission (1997)
- BASF Awards, East China University of Science and Technology (1997)
- Highest Academic Awards (1995 - 1997)
- See here https://goo.gl/pgggDK