Away from the Bench

  1. Policy and Communication
  2. Technology Transfer
  3. Business Consulting

Science Policy and Communication
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) offer a one year fellowship to US citizens with a PhD to work in various agencies within the federal government to use their scientific background to help shape US policies. Also, AAAS offers a Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program which places scientist in media organizations to learn how to communicate science to the general public. 

The National Academies offers a 12-week fellowship program, the Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program, designed to help scientist gain the necessary skills to work in science policy with the national or local government level. 

Other job opportunities include:

  • Science policy and regulatory affairs positions at the Food and Drug Administration
  • Program officers at the National Institutes of Health and National Science Foundation who manage grant applications
  • Science Writing/ Editing
  • Technology expert for scientific equipment company
  • Patent Law
  • Patent examiners at the United State Patent and Trademark Office

Technology Transfer
Related to Patent law, but you can think of it as the other side of the job--- working at the institutes or organizations who are looking to protect, manage, and market their inventions and discoveries. The NIH offers fellowships and internships to help scientists transition their career to technology transfer. You may find these here:

Business Consulting
If you think you'd rather think about science in a business setting (the value of a product, how to undercut the competition, who to market to, etc), then this could be a great career for you. Several firms hire business consultants with advanced degrees. These include:

  1. The Big 3 (McKinsey and BCG usually visit JHMI in Falls)
  2. Boutique Pharma Consultancies:
  3. Consulting clubs