Ingredients (serves 4):
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 1/2 cups Marinara (substitute your favorite jarred sauce here if desired)
1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
8 ounces fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (plus more for topping)
2-3 tablespoons panko (plus a little more for topping)
4 bell peppers, hollowed out
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Lightly coat a 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. When warm, add onions and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until veggies soften. Add marinara, stir to combine. Add rice, stir to combine.
3. When marinara mixture is warm, add fresh spinach. Stir for 1-2 minutes, or until spinach starts to wilt. Remove pan from heat, stir in cheese and panko.
4. Place bell peppers in prepared pan. Divide rice mixture between the 4 peppers. Top each pepper with a little more panko and a little more cheese. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Remove aluminum foil from pan. Place pan back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and peppers are tender. Remove pan from oven, top peppers with a little fresh parsley. Serve immediately!