Burlingame and Bradford
Here are a few sources about Burlingame and Bradford
"About the year 1798-9, the first cloth dressing was done in North Adams by one Roger Wing from Connecticut. The fulling mill was put into Captain Colgrove's grist mill, and the finishing was done in a small building near where Burlingame & Darby's store now is. About 1801 a carding machine was also put into Captain Colgrove's grist mill."
--History of North Adams
"Tuesday, April 30, Major William M. Brown presided at an election of officers, assisted by Major J. Q. Robinson and Lieutenant S. T. Rogers, and the following was the choice: Captain, Elisha Smart; first lieutenant, Samuel C. Traver; second lieutenant, L. W. Goddard; third lieutenant, J. W. Mallory; fourth lieutenant, William Briggs. The company voted to call themselves the "Johnson Grays" in honor of Mr. Sylvander Johnson, the chairman of the town committee, whose liberality had done much towards perfecting the organization and keeping up the spirits of the men, while waiting for the call for active service. On Saturday, May 4, the company went into camp on the lot just north of the old brick factory owned by Arnold & Ray. A large crowd gathered upon the occasion, and after the raising of the colors, speeches were made by General A. A. Richmond and M. F. Adams, who received three cheers each from the company. Cannon were fired, and the soldiers went through their drill exercises and stationed their guards. The camp was named Camp Johnson, after their townsman and patron, Sylvander Johnson. The volunteers in camp were amply provided for by the town committee. One noticeable feature of the camp was the total absence of intoxicating liquors; neither the soldiers or outside parties were allowed to bring any into camp, and some parties detected in smuggling some in were summarily dealt with by the officers. The Ladies' Soldiers Aid Society made the flannel shirts for the company in Burlingame & Ray's Hall. The volunteers made frequent marches through the streets of North Adams, kindling the military flame in the breasts of the young men of the town, and exciting universal praise for their increasing perfection in military maneuvers.
Photo Courtesy of