3.4 Growth of plantation economies and slave societies Focus Questions:
1. Why did plantations develop rather than towns in the South during the late 17c and early 18c?
2. Create a CHART that shows the five-tiered social order of Southern colonial society.
3. What difficulties did women and indentured servants face in colonial Southern society?
4. Why did the English colonists revert to African slavery to fill their depleted labor force?
5. Describe the characteristics of slave life in the 18c South. In what ways was slavery a brutal system?
6. How did the emergence of slavery change race relations between Africans and British colonists?
7. Explain the nature of the slave codes which began to appear in the British colonies by the 18c.
8. How did slaves maintain their African culture while in slavery?
9. Discuss some examples of both non-violent and violent resistance to slavery in the colonial South.
10. Briefly describe the diverse agricultural and commercial economy that developed in New England and the Middle colonies.
11. How was the status of Northern slaves different from that of Southern slaves? How was it the same? of Northern women?
1. First European contacts with American Indians Description (250 words)
-Every topic must have a 250 word description giving the general ideas and important information,
events, revolutions, etc. that pertain to that particular section (times new Roman font, double-spaced, one
2. First European contacts with American Indians MC (5)
-Every topic must have 5 multiple choice questions that pertain to that particular section, chosen from
the multiple choice question list on the site. The questions must reveal the correct answer and have a brief
description of why the correct answer is correct.
3. First European contacts with American Indians Free Response Essay (1)
-Every topic must have FOUR Free Response Essays (FRE's) that pertain to that particular section,
chosen from the list of FRE located on the site answered thoughtfully and completely.
4. First European contacts with American Indians Document Based Question (DBQ) (3 Primary Sources)
-Every topic must choose a DBQ from the list that pertains to that particular section and and find THREE
or more Primary Sources that could be used in some capacity to help answer that particular DBQ.
5. First European contacts with American Indians Learning Tool
-Every topic must have something that could be used,listened to, viewed, analyzed, interpreted, etc. in
about 15 minutes or less that would aid in student understanding of the section