Jenolan Names

Adams, Carlotta - Daughter of P.F. Adams who surveyed the Devils Coachhouse. Carlotta Arch is named after her.

Adams, P.F. - Surveyed the Devils Coachhouse in Easter 1878 and suggested the alternative name for it, the Easter Cavern.

Armstrong, C. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Armstrong, E. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Armstrong, W. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Bailey Robert - Originally a labourer at Jenolan but progressing to be a guide. Co-discoverer of the River and Orient Caves.

Beel, Jerry - A station hand employed by James Whalan

Bellamy Kath- Member of  Jenolan Caves Historical &Preservation Society, main contributor of the naming project at Jenonolan Caves.

Bradley, Antony - Chief Guide from 1932 to 1946.

Bramon, Jeffrey - American adventurer. Arrived from California, as a prospector. Was one of the early visitors to area in the 1800's, and early explorer of many of the caves. for a short time settled in the Jenolan area as well as the Blue Mountains region.

Coid, Melanie - A guide at Jenolan, JCH&PS member and webmaster of the Jenolan Caves Historical & Preservation Society, JCH&PS committee member.

Cook, Sir Joseph - Member for Hartley and Minister for Mines in 1898-99 and later Prime Minister. Cook's Cavern in the Jubilee Cave is named after him.

Cook, Samuel - Journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald who produced the book "The Jenolan Caves : an Excursion in Australian Wonderland" in 1889.

Cooper, W.M. - Surveyor who laid out the Six Foot Track from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves in 1884. He is also creditted with suggesting the name Jenolan Caves as the Fish River (after which the caves were known) actually flowed on the western side of the Great Divide.

Cracknell, E.G. (Lieutenant Colonel) - Superintendant of Telegraphs. Cracknell brought eighteen cast iron and zinc cells to Jenolan and into the Left imperial (Chifley) Cave. Here, with the assistance of Ludovici Hart, he turned on a set of electric lights, thus making the Left Imperial the first cave in the world to be lit by electric light. He also set off, at Lithgow, the first explosive detonation triggered electrically. Well before wire guided weapons became a standard tool of war, he designed a wire guided torpedo to be fired from Middle Head in Sydney Harbour.

Cracknell, Margarita - Wife of E.G. Cracknell. The Margarita Chamber in the Chifley Cave is named after her.

Dunlop, B. - Dunlop was one of the first casual guides at Jenolan Caves. A school science teacher, he is best known as the author of the guidebook "Jenolan Caves, New South Wales". The first edition of his book was published in 1950 and it reappeared continuously, being updated through to the 1980's. In the late 1960's Dunlop also produced a training manual for guiding staff and conducted training programmes for them.

Edwards, Jack - Born in Cumberland, England in 1866. The Edwards family migrated to Australia in 1878. He joined the guiding staff in the mid-1880's. In 1893 he married Alice Adams at Jenolan at the age of 27. He was the father of three children, two sons and a daughter. Jack Edwards passed away on the 10th December 1908. He was found on the roadway, having fallen from the track above as he was walking home.

Etheridge, Robert - Geologist from Sydney University who frequently worked with James Wiburd, assisting in identifying various minerals and bone deposits for him.

Falls, Jane. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Game, Sir Philip - Governor of NSW who opened the Ribbon Cave in 1931

Glover, P.C. - Author of the work "Self Discipline" in 1884 which made mention of the caves

Harman, Frank - Chief guide appointed in 1955.

Harvey, J. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Havard, Ward L. -

Hughes, John - Resident of Ginkin who wrote to the Town and Country on 21st July 1884 claiming he had assisted in the capture of McKeown, along with a friend, James Brady.One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Irwin, Nicholas - Irwin accompanied Charles Whalan on his first visit to the caves, following directions given by James Whalan. Co-discoverer of the Lucas Cave in 1860.

Lucas, John - Local parliamentarian responsible for having a reserve declared for the protection of the caves. The Lucsa Cave is named after him.

McKeon, James - See James McKeown.

McKeown, James - was a convicted thief who left County Down Ireland and arrived in Sydney Cove in 1824 aboard the Asia IV. He soon moved to Bathurst to help establish this new frontier in NSW. However, he was a rogue convict with a history of absconding. Following the theft of a horse, his capture by James Whalan in 1836 lead to discovery of the Jenolan valley. Consequently the presence of limestone, and possibility of caves, came to public prominence and were later explored by Charles Whalan. James McKeown had been assigned to Robert Smith of Bathurst, step-father to the McPhillamy family, some of the early visitors to Jenolan caves. Following his capture James McKeown was tried and convicted for horse stealing at Sydney Gaol and transported to Norfolk Island for seven years. After this time he was moved into the Tasmanian probation system. Records indicate him living in a bark hut in the Tasmanian midland in 1851. It is rumoured he returned to Jenolan after his incarceration, but there are no known records to support this.

McPhillamy, - Bathurst family who were one of the early visitors to the caves with the Whalans.

Machattie, Dr - Doctor from Bathurst who was one of the early visitors to the caves with the Whalans.

Mayne, Rev W. - A member of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Nolan, James. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave. It is probably this person's name and their association with the discovery of the Lucas that caused some people to think the caves take their name from their discoverer, "J. E. Nolan". The actual origin is from an aboriginal name for a mountain in the region.

O'Connor, Jack. - Chief Guide from 1946 to 1955.

Palmer, Dr. - An early visitor to the caves in the company of the Whalans. Dr Palmer was the Police Magistrate from Bathurst

Roberts, Mrs - Occupant of the Plough and Harrow Inn at O'Connell Plains. In the account provided by Alfred Whalan of the capture of McKeown, Mrs Roberts is said to have had her clothes stolen off her clothes line by McKeown. In the account, McKeown was said to have been wearing her riding cap when he was captured.

Skewes, Rev. T. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Stanger, W. - One of the first party to enter the Lucas Cave

Stone, W.G. - Co-author of the "Geology of the Jenolan Caves District - Proceedings of the Royal Society of NSW", 1915.

Sussmilch, C.A. - Co-author of the "Geology of the Jenolan Caves District - Proceedings of the Royal Society of NSW", 1915.

Tom, William - Assisted Charles Whalan in the exploration of the caves.

Trickett, Oliver - Born in Yorkshire on 29th May 1847.

Webb, Catherine - Also known as Katie. Katie's Bower in the Chifley Cave is named after her.Daughter of Edmund Webb.

Webb, Edmund (jnr) - Son of Edmund Webb Snr. Assisted in the exploration of the north side tourist caves.

Webb, Edmund (snr) - Born in 1830. Married Selina Jane Tom, daughter of Parson Tom of Oberon. He ran a business in Bathurst and became a member of the Legislative Council. He had four children, Edmund Tom , Selina Helen, Sydney William and Catherine Emma. Provided material assistance to Jeremiah Wilson to aid him in the exploration of the caves, as well as frequently accompanying Jeremiah in exploring the caves.

Webb, Selina - Daughter of Edmund and Selina Webb. Popular folklore says that she lowered her sister Catherine down into Katie's Bower, Chifley Cave, making them the discoverers of the chamber in 1881. Selina Chamber in the Imperial Cave is named after her.

Whalan, Alfred - Alfred was the son of Charles Whalan (jnr) and is creditted with providing one of the first detailed written accounts of the capture of James McKeown.

Whalan, Charles (jnr) - Charles married Elizabeth Harper and settled on a 2000 acre property at Bullock Flat, which would later come to be known as Oberon. Elizabeth named their home Glyndwr owing to her Welsh heritage. Note that one of Charles jnr's sons was also called Charles and he acted with his father as a guide to the caves.

Whalan, Charles (snr) - Father of Charles Whalan jnr, one of the original explorers of the Jenolan Caves, he was born in 1772. Convicted in Westminster England in 1787 of catching trout in water belonging to a neighbour, he was transported to the colony of New South Wales. On the 11th February 1793 he joined the New South Wales Corps. On 19th March 1803 he maried Elizabeth Berry from Hertfordshire. In 1800 he was appointed to command the Governor's Guard of Light Horse. in 1820 he formed an exploration party into the Burragorang Valley. Charles and his wife Elizabeth retired to his land grant at Macquarie Park at Prospect. In 1839 he died at the age of sixty seven. His remains are in a family vault at St Johns Parramatta. (Ref. Ralston - Golden Ages of Caving)

Whalan, Edwin - Son of Charles Whalan (jnr) and one of the first honorary guides of Jenolan.

Whalan, James - James married Lydia Dargan and moved to Ginkin, not far from Jenolan.

Whalan, Glyndwr -Brother of Alfred Whalan and son of Charles Whalan jnr.

Whiting, George - Tutor to the Whalan children. Co-discoverer of the Lucas Cave in 1860

Whyte, Rob - Guide at Jenolan since 1996. Largely given credit for the development of the Ghost Tour. Long time curator and research officer for the Jenolan Caves Historical & Preservation Society. Married Melanie Coid in 2012. A keen photographer who  takes wedding photos for couples marrying at Jenolan usually in the Temple of Baal or Lucas cave with outdoor photos along the Blue Lake. He also photographs/videos many featured events at Jenolan preserving the history of this unique performance venue for future generations to see. Some of his work can be viewed on you tube.

J.Wiburd & J.Edwards

Wiburd, James Carvosso ("Voss") - Caretaker of the caves from 1903 to 1932. At his retirement his post was described as Superintendant of Caves. Discoverer of the River, Cerberus, Orient, Baal and Ribbon Caves. JamesWiburd was born in Bathurst on 21st November 1866, the son of Elizabeth and James Wiburd. He married Mary Matilda Fraser in 1889. His children were Carvosso, born in 1894 and Hazel, born in 1896. He was appointed to guiding staff at Jenolan in 1885.

Wilkinson, C.S. - Government geological surveyor. Responsible for surveying and constructing the road down the Two Mile. In this period, on rainy days he would take his survey team into the caves to survey there. In 1884 he discovered what is called the Wilkinson Branch of the Chifley Cave.

Wilson, Frederick J. - Caretaker of the caves from 1896 to 1903. Discovered the passage from the Grand Arch to the Balcony in 1897. providing access to the Lucas. In 1900 Frederick discovered the Mafeking chamber in the Lucas.

J.Wilson

Wilson, Jeremiah - The eldest son of of William and Rebecca Wilson, born in October 1839 at Enniskillen, Northern Ireland. His family migrated to Australia in 1842 and shortly after became farmers at Bullock Flat (Oberon). His visit to the caves was no later than 1856 when it is known he entered the Elder Cave. He was appointed as the first keeper of the caves on 12th January 1867. On 10th January 1868 he married Lucinda Beattie at O'Connell and created the farm Lucindale on the Fish River Creek. In 1879 he built a small accommodation house at Jenolan which was the predecessor of Caves House.

Wilson, Lucinda - Wife of Jeremiah Wilson, the Lucinda Chamber in the Chifley Cave is named after her.

Wilson, Noble - Brother of Jeremiah Wilson, born in 1841.

Youdale, J.B. - Wrote of a visit to the caves in 1881 in an article entitled "A Trip to the Fish River Caves"