2013 Day 0 Suggestions
- Reactive (Async + Non-Blocking) Play and Option[Scala] Workshop
2012 Day 0 Suggestions
- Raible's ToDo List: I have a number of projects on my todo list for the next few months. I figured I'd list them here in case anyone wants to help and learn.
- HTML5 Mobile Client - My Play More application needs a better mobile client. Currently built with HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery and PhoneGap. I want to continue using PhoneGap, but optimize for mobile, possibly using a client MVC framework.
- Upgrade Play More application from Play 1.2.4 with Scala to Play 2.0. Hardest part will be implementing Scalate support or switching to Play 2's Scala Templates.
- Change AppFuse's JSF implementation from MyFaces to PrimeFaces.
- Finish integrating Twitter's Bootstrap into AppFuse.
- Develop outline and system for comparing Play 2 and Grails 2.
- Implement 1-to-many code generation for AppFuse's Code Generation Plugin.
- ZenWriter, take 2: Implement ZenWriter (a project we started at the JPR a couple of years ago as a JavaFX app, which is basically a simple text editor that goes full screen without any distracting chrome, has a pleasant background and font and possibly relaxing background sounds, etc) as an Android app.
- Might be interesting if we can take inspiration from
http://dcurt.is/codename-svbtle I would also be interested in a Web Based version that we can use. [Vineet]
- Create an awesome HTML5 video player for lightning talks, presentations and screencasts. (Eirik, Joe Sondow, Krister, you?). During playback the user will be given full control over screen priority, placement, transparency etc. The idea is to squeeze multiple video sources (of screen / presentation, or of people talking), and use HTML5 <video> and <canvas> in the browser to split them back into individual videos. If that turns out to be too easy to fill the day, here's some ideas for more advanced features:
- Add two or more presenter videos and use audio levels to automatically increase the size of the current speaker (like Google hangouts)
- Rendering video on 3D surfaces using WebGL, textures and shaders. This might give us a better frame rate and, well, 3D is cool, isn't it?
- Make a could based web app (using Heroku?) to upload, manage, edit, view and comment videos.
- Find "next slide" timing in presentations by comparing video frames for changes. Create thumbnails of each slide and use it in the player for simplified navigation. (Parleys.com has this)
- Exploring real time video group chat using WebRTC.
- Social Code Understanding - Create an web based code browser for users to easily understand code, add comments for discussion with team members, tag architectural components, and jump to relevant documentation/discussions directly from code.