Hooked on Jane Austen? Let’s Talk!
JASNA-IR (Jane Austen Society of North America--Indianapolis Region)
Would you like to meet others right here in the Indianapolis area who share your interest in Austen, her writing, and her life? If so, the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA) may have the answer.
JASNA members are readers who enjoy Jane Austen’s fiction and come together to celebrate her genius. Our 4,500 members, who are of all ages and walks of life, live in states and provinces across North America. And, as a JASNA member, you can participate in the local activities of one or more of our 69 Regional groups in the United States and Canada.
The Indianapolis Region of JASNA meets throughout the year to share many pleasurable activities—discussing Jane Austen’s novels and other related publications; toasting Austen at a tea on her birthday (December 16); presenting or listening to lectures and discussions about her writing, life, and era; learning about and experiencing entertainments such as 19th century dancing, charades and other games; viewing Austen related films; and much more.
We welcome new members, whether you are reading your first Austen novel or have re-read her books many times. You don’t need to be an Austen expert to feel at home in JASNA, though you may become one as you attend our meetings.
“JASNA Region members must be members of JASNA.” This is a direct quote from the JASNA handbook, but our region has previously allowed those non-members who may be interested in joining JASNA to attend one or two meetings before requiring membership. However, most people do not realize the advantages of membership in JASNA which are…
• A subscription to the society'ʹs newsletter, JASNA News, published three times a year, which contains book reviews, news from JASNA regions, feature articles, and more
• A copy of Persuasions, JASNA'ʹs annual journal and a preeminent source for Austen studies, contains essays from the Annual General Meeting as well as articles written by members on Jane Austen, her family, her art, or her times. (Persuasions: Online is available to the public on JASNA’s web site. It is updated periodically and contains unique articles not found in the printed journal.)
• The opportunity to join in the activities of one or more of JASNA’s regional groups in the United States and Canada
• An invitation to attend the Annual General Meeting (AGM), a three-‐‑day, Austen-‐‑themed conference held each fall in a different North American city, featuring speakers, entertainment, banquet, and Regency ball
• Participation in members-‐‑only tours to England, organized and led by professionals with special access to Austen sites.
Life Member $350
Family Life $500
For more information on membershhip in JASNA, go to www.jasna.org or 800-836-3911 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The membership year for JASNA runs from September 1 to October 31, the same as JASNA's fiscal year.
ANNOUNCEMENTS > Interested in Jane Austen? > Jane Austen Society of North America--Indianapolis Region >