Time: 1 hour
Yield: about 2 dozen cookies
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
***NOTE: Be sure you get the dough ingredients mixed well. If you have a Kithchen Aid or Bosch Mixer you will be set. If you don't have one of these fine contraptions, do not despair. Just get your fingers in there and mix it up well. A wooden spoon or hand held beaters won't do the trick. If the red dough is too crumbly, add a teaspoon more water. Be careful with the water. You don't want to get too much.***
2 boxes white cake mix
1 C butter melted
1 small box black cherry jello
1 T water
1/2 t red food coloring jell
1 T water
1/2 t almond extract
1. In a mixing bowl, or your stand mixer beat together the cake mix, melted butter and eggs.
2. Separate the dough in half. Add the jello, water and food coloring to one half of the dough. This will make it red with a little hint on cherry flavoring.
3. To the other half of the dough add the water, and almond extract.
4. Shape each half into a big round ball. Then cut the ball into approximatly 24 pieces. The picture above only shows each round being cut into about 18 pieces. Some of them were too large, so I ended up cutting them in half.
5. Take a red piece and a white piece. Roll them each into a snake shape. Then twist them around each other to make a rope. In a perfect world I would have a picture of the rope for you! I honestly thought I had taken one. So sorry, but you will just have to imagine it.
6. Shape the rope into a candy cane shape. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8 minutes, or until the cookies start to crack. Remove from the oven and let them continue to cook for about 2 minutes on the hot sheet.
7. Remove from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
If you get a little lazy and want to skip the roll a snake build a rope step...then just grab a piece of red dough, a piece of white dough and roll them into a ball. They make cute little red and white cookies.