Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 7-10 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
***NOTE: This salad is best assembled just before it is served. It tends to get a bit juicy and slimy if the berries and dressing hang out too long together. The sugared almonds and dressing can be prepared several days in advance. Keep the almonds in an air tight container and the dressing covered and refrigerated. ***
1/2 C sliced almonds
2 T sugar
1 (6 ounce) package spinach
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 C feta cheese
1 apple, golden delicious or gala
1 C craisins
1 (16 ounce) package strawberries
Raspberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette recipe found here.
1. Toss your almonds into a medium sized skillet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar and a dash of salt over the top of the nuts. Heat the pan up over medium high heat. Allow the sugar to melt a bit and the nuts to turn golden brown. Stir with a spatula frequently. When the sugar has melted and caramelized (should only take about 4 or 5 minutes) remove the pan from the stove top and pour the nuts onto a plate to cool.
2. Rip the spinach into bite size pieces with your hands and toss them into a large bowl.
3. Remove the green stems from one pound of strawberries. Slice them and add them to the spinach.
4. Slice up half a red onion and add it to the bowl. Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, the sugared almonds, one diced apple and 1 cup of craisins.
5. Make this fabulously wonderful Raspberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette and pour it all over the salad.
Serve and enjoy.