Time: about 60 minutes
Yield: 6 bowls
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home
2 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
4 C flour
1/2 C warm water
1 C milk
2 T butter
1 T yeast
1 egg, beaten
1. Place 2 C flour into the bottom of your stand mixer. Add the sugar
and the salt. Stir it around a bit to combine.
2. Pour your milk and water into one measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 1 minute, or until bubbly and hot.
3. Carefully put the butter into the hot liquid and let it melt just a bit.
4. Pour the buttery milk into your mixer. Turn the mixer on to low and let it mix for just 30 seconds or so.
5. Add the yeast and the remaining 2 cups of flour.
6. Mix the dough for 5 minutes.
7. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set the dough out on to it.
8. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 6 equal parts. (No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. There are 7 pieces of dough in the picture above. Because there are 7 people in my family...and no one likes to be left without a bread bowl. :)
9. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes, then shape each piece into a ball. Whisk your egg up in a small bowl and spread the egg over the tops of each dough ball.
10. Place the pan in a 170 degree oven and let the dough rise until doubled in size. This should take between 15-25 minutes.
11. Turn your oven up to 350 degrees (leave the pan in the oven while the temperature increases) Bake the little bowls for about 15 minutes (depending on how long your oven takes to heat up) or until golden brown.
12. Let the bowls cool for about 10 minutes, then slice the top of each bowl, scoop out the middle, and pour some soup right on in!