Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe adapted from the talented and lovely Teresa Evans
12 C hot water
9 bullion cubes
1 C carrots, chopped
1 1/2 C celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 C potatoes, chopped
1 t minced garlic
2 pounds smoked sausage (the kind in a horse shoe shape)
1 t dried parsley
2 cans black beans
salt and pepper
1. Chop your vegetables.
2. Unwrap and slice your sausage into 1/4 inch chunks.
3. Place the veggies and sausage into a large soup pot.
4. Dissolve the bullion cubes in the hot water and pour it into the soup pot.
5. Toss in the parsley.
6. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Taste your soup and add as much salt and pepper as you like.
7. Pour the black beans into a strainer in your sink and run warm water over them. You want to be sure the black beans have been rinsed or the soup will get all murky.
8. Pour the black beans into your soup. Simmer for 2-3 more minutes, letting the beans heat through.
9. Serve and enjoy!