Yield: 17 cupcakes
Time: 1 hour + 30 minutes cooling time + 10 minutes to frost
1 White Cake Mix + ingredients to prepare the mix
2 jars cream cheese frosting
1 box nerds candy
Food Coloring GEL
-Wilton Brand Gel is sold at any craft store, or at Walmart on the cake decorating isle usually found near the craft section. Betty Crocker also sales food coloring gel. It's found on the baking aisle with all of the bday candles, cupcake holders and what not. You will have a hard time getting very bright colors if you use regular food coloring, just say no to elephant gray, I learned the hard way....
1. Prepare the cake batter according to the directions on the box. Separate the batter into 5 bowl. Add the food coloring gel of your choice to each bow. I was trying to match the bright girly colors of the nerds candy. Yes, I am a nerd. Thanks for asking.
2. Line your muffin tins with cupcake holders. Pour a little bit of each batter color into all of your cups. Be careful not to fill them more than about 2/3 full.
3. Bake the cupcakes according to package directions.
4. Remove from the oven, pop them out of the muffin tins and let them cool their bright sunny selves on a wire rack.
5. Pipe a bit (or a whole heck of a lot) of frosting onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the nerds.