Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 Pumpkin Roll
Recipe from Cindi Schut
3/4 C flour
1 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice
2/3 C pumpkin
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
1 C sugar
1 C powdered sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
6 T butter, softened
1 t vanilla
1. Put the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat on high for 4-5 minutes. You want the mixture to turn nice and creamy white like the picture above.
2. Add the pumpkin and mix until incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
5. This Pam spray has flour added to it and is great for baking. It really helps things NOT stick. Spray a little circle of it in the center of a jelly roll pan. Line the pan with a piece of wax paper and then spray it with cooking spray.
6. Spread the batter out evenly over the wax paper. "Evenly" is the key here. You want it to be as smooth as possible.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
8. While the cake is baking, lay out a clean dish towel onto your counter. It needs to be a "flour sack" dishtowel, not the kind of dish towel that is made out of terry cloth. Cindi told me they are available even at Wal mart!
9. Sprinkle powdered sugar all over the dish towel.
10. As soon as the cake is finished baking, carefully loosen the edges with a knife and then dump it onto the dish towel.
11. Remove the wax paper.
12. Cut off any jagged edges.
13. Roll it all up! Set it on a wire rack to cool.
14. While the roll is cooling make the filling.
15. Beat the cream cheese and butter together for about 2 minutes, or until smooth.
16. Add the other ingredients and beat until smooth and silky.
17. When the cake is completely cooled, unroll it and spread the frosting evenly over the top.
18. Roll it all up again and lay it seam side down on top of some plastic wrap.
19. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and then in tin foil.
20. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. They also freeze very well.