Time: 15 minutes prep + 60 minutes to bake
Yield: 20 servings
Recipe from my mother in law, Jill Eskelson
1 yellow cake mix
1/2 C butter, melted
1 29 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 C sugar
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/2 t cloves
2 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
1. To make the crust, pour the cake mix into your stand mixer, or medium sized mixing bowl. Pour the melted butter over the cake mix and stir it in for about 30 seconds. Add your egg and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
2. Spray a large jello roll pan with cooking spray. Press the crust into the pan.
3. Into a small mixing bowl combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
4. Crack the eggs into your stand mixer and beat them for about 1 minute, or until frothy.
5. Add the sugar mixture and the pumpkin and mix until combined.
6. Pour in the canned milk and mix until combined.
7. CAREFULLY pour the filling over the crust. Now. Just a word to the wise here. Your pan will be full. Really full. The kind of full that just might spill over the top while you carry it to the oven, if you aren't careful. I would advise setting the crust as close to the oven as possible, then pour the filling in so you don't have very far to walk.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool completely, then cut into squares and serve with whip cream.