Time: 45 minutes hands on + 2-3 hours freezing time
Yield: 40-50 Bon Bons
Recipe from my sister in law Ember Storrs
***NOTE: These Oreo Bon Bons freeze very well and can be made up to a week in advance.
1 (15.5 ounce) package Oreo cookies (about 45 oreos)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 (14 ounce) packages candy wafers, or candy melts
candy sprinkles (optional)
1. Toss all of the oreos into your stand mixer. Turn the mixer onto low speed and watch those oreos get crushed.
2. Put one package of cream cheese into the bowl and continue to mix until the two are well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it into your freezer for at least 2 hours.
3. Once the filling is frozen scoop it into balls and place them onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment or wax paper.
4. Spray your hands with cooking spray and roll each ball around in your hands so that the outside is nice and smooth.
5. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and get it back into the freezer. Let the balls hang out there for 1-2 hours.
6. Place the candy melts into two separate microwave safe bowl, or glass measuring cups.
7. Melt the wafers in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating interval. Once the chocolate is smooth you are good to go.
8. I wanted to make two different shades of purple for these bon bons, so I poured a bit of the purple into a small bowl and added some of the white chocolate to it
until I had the lighter shade of purple I was looking for.
9. Drop the oreo balls into the melted wafers one at a time. Use two forks to scoop the balls out of the candy. Let any excess drip off the ball and back into the bowl. Then place the bon bon back onto the cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper.
10. If you are using candy sprinkles pour them onto the bon bon just as soon as it has been dipped in the candy coating. If the coating starts to harden and set up, the sprinkles will not stick. You can also take a spoon, dip it into some of the candy coating and drizzle it over the top of the dipped bon bons.
11. Let the candy set up. Should take about 15 minutes.
12. Once the bon bons have set up place them in a glass baking dish, cover and freeze until you are ready to serve.