Time: 2 hours
Yield: 2 houses
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
4 C powdered sugar
3 large egg whites
1/2 t cream of tartar
16 pop tarts
candy for decorating
1. Place all ingredients for the Royal Icing in your stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir the mixture around just a bit to incorporate.
3. Mix on medium high, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally to be sure all of the powdered sugar gets incorporated.
4. Continue to mix on high for 7 - 10 minutes. The icing should hold a peak when it is ready.
5. Put the icing into 3 quart sized Ziploc bags. Tie the top with a twist tie, clip a little hole in one of the corners and you are good to go. Keeping the icing in a ziploc bag really helps to keep it moist.
6. Assemble the walls of your house as pictured above.
7. Cut 2 triangles out to help hold your pitched roof.
8. Carefully place the triangles and the roof on. Slather the edges up with icing. You will need some extra hands to help you hold it up for a couple of minutes, until the icing sets. This icing is really quite magical and sets up very quickly. If your roof doesn't meet at the top, just put pipe some icing in the crack to help seal it up.
9. Decorate your house as desired.
10. Write little thankful tags, stick them on a toothpick and place them around your house. The toothpicks need to be stuck into a marshmallow, or candy pumpkin. Then secure the marshmallow, or pumpkin with some icing.