Yield: 12-15 servings
Time: 20 minutes
Recipe from my cousin Pam Corry
2 heads romaine lettuce (or 3 Romaine Hearts), chopped
1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
1 C craisins
1 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 C sugar
2 t dry mustard
1 t salt
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1 C canola oil (or vegetable oil....NOT olive oil)
1 1/2 C almonds, coarsely chopped (I get mine in a big bag at Costco)
1/4 C white sugar
1. Chop your almonds up coarsely. I use a mini food processor.
2. Place the almonds in a large skillet and sprinkle the sugar over the top. Turn the heat to medium. Stir them around occasionally. The sugar will start to melt and caramelize. When this happens keep stirring the nut mixture scraping the bottom of the pan each time. You don't want the sugar to sit very long in one spot or it will start to burn. When the almonds and sugar have turned a nice golden color remove the pan from the heat and pour the nuts onto a cookie sheet to cool.
3. To make the dressing place the chopped red onion, sugar, dry mustard, salt and red wine vinegar in your blender.
4. Place the lid on and blend for just 30 seconds or so. You should be able to take the lid off without everything spraying all over you. Pour the canola oil into the blender a little at a time while the blender is running. When all of the oil has been added, put the lid on and let it blend for about 1 minute.
5. Just before you serve the salad toss the Romaine lettuce, cheese, bacon, and craisins in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top, add the nuts and toss again.