Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 small loaves, about 30 pieces once they are cut up
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 T shortening
2 T sugar
1 T salt
1 C hot boiling water
1 C cold water
1/3 C lukewarm water
1 T yeast
4-5 C flour
2 pkg pepperoni
6 C grated cheese, a combination of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan work well together.
1 egg whisked until frothy
McCormick's "Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder"
1. To make the dough, fill a Pyrex measuring cup with 1 C hot water from the tap, then place it in the microwave and heat it for 2 minutes. This will get it boiling.
2. In a separate cup dissolve the yeast in 1/3 C warm water. It doesn't need to start to bubble up here, just to dissolve.
3. In your Kitchen Aid or Bosch Mixer mash the sugar, salt and shortening together with a fork. You want it to be well incorporated.
4. Pour the hot water over the shortening mixture. Then pour the cold water over it. Finally, pour the yeast/water mixture in.
5. Add the flour 1 C at a time, while mixing.
You can make this recipe with out a stand mixer, however you will need to knead the dough by hand for quite some time. At least 10-12 minutes. (Sounds like an arm buster doesn't it!)
6. Once you have enough flour, let it mix for about 8 minutes. The dough should have a nice elasticity to it.
7. After the dough has mixed enough, separate it into 6 equal parts and let it rest for 5 minutes on a sprayed cookie sheet.
8. Spread each piece of dough out into a rectangle. You can see from the picture, they don't need to be a perfect rectangle. Who wants to try and be perfect? Not me.
9. Lay out some of the pepperoni.
10. Sprinkle about 1 C worth of cheese over the top.
11. Roll it up!
12. Be the dough gets wrapped around it well.
13. Place the seam side down and tuck in the edges.
14. Whisk your egg up until it is frothy like this.
15. Spray a knife with cooking spray and then cut some slits in the top of each little loaf.
16. Slather the egg wash all over the tops and sides of the loaves.
17. Grind the seasoning over the top.
18. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, or until the tops are starting to get golden brown. Turn the oven down to 350 and cook for another 8 minutes.
If you have a convection oven, cook at 375 for 7 minutes and then 325 for about 5 minutes.
19. Let the loaves rest for about 5 minutes before you cut into them. Enjoy!