Time: 15 minutes hands on + 45 minutes baking
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
4 C fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
2 C sugar
1/2 C water
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C milk
1. Peel and slice your peaches. Toss them into a medium sized sauce pan with 1 C of the sugar and the water. Stir them all together and bring the mixture to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining cup of sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl. Pour the milk in slowly, whisking to combine all ingredients.
3. Put the 1/2 C butter into a 3 quart baking dish and melt it in the microwave.
4. Pour the batter over the top of the butter. Don't stir it folks. Just trust Paula. The girl knows what she's talking about.
5. Carefully spoon the peaches onto the batter.
(Still don't stir it, ya'll.)
6. Pour the peachy syrup from your sauce pan onto the top of the peaches. Now, it's going to look kind of strange here. The butter, batter, peach and syrup layers all kind of get mixed up together. Do not fret. It will bake into a beauty.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
8. Remove it from the oven and let the beautiful dessert of wonder sit for a few minutes before you dig in. Serve with vanilla ice cream of freshly whipped cream.