Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 pound medium cooked shrimp, tail off and thawed
3/4 C flour
1 C Italian bread crumbs (Panko bread crumbs also work well)
1/2 C milk
4 T olive oil
3 T ketchup
1/2-1 t wasabi (available at most grocery stores on the Asian food aisle)
1. Pour 3/4 cup flour into a small bowl and sprinkle it with a bit of salt. Stir it around to combine.
2. Dip each shrimp into the flour, being sure to coat it on all sides. Place the coated shrimp on a plate. When all the shrimp have been dredged in the flour, cover your plate with plastic wrap and let it hang out in the freezer for 10 minutes. This really helps the breaded coating to stick nicely.
3. Take the shrimp plate out of the freezer. Pour 1/2 cup milk into a small bowl, and 1 cup Italian bread crumbs into another.
4. Dip each flour coated shrimp into the milk
and then into the Italian bread crumbs.
Repeat until you have covered all of the shrimp.
5. Heat a large, deep skillet up over medium high heat.
6. When the oil is hot carefully place the shrimp into the pan. Be careful not to crowd the shrimp. They all need their own space to become crispy and golden brown in this world. A very high achievement, I realize. You will need to cook the shrimp in two batches.
7. When the shrimp are golden brown on the underside, turn each one over and allow them to get golden on the other side. Remember that the shrimp were already cooked when you purchased them, so you just want them to get crispy here. If they start to curl up tightly, you are over doing it and they'll be kind of tough.
8. Pour about 2 tablespoons of ketchup into a small bowl. Add about 1/2 a teaspoon of the Wasabi. A word of caution here. The Wasabi is REALLY HOT. Start with a small amount, taste it and then see if you want to add more.
Serve and Enjoy!