Time: 30 minutes + about 20 min. refrigerate
Yield: about 45 cookies
Recipe from Leslie Ollis
1 package Oreo cookies (I buy the big box at Costco and use three of the sleeves)
3 bags Hershey White Chocolate Chips (Nestle's does not work well for these, once the food coloring and mint are added, the chocolate gets quite chalky. Kroger or Walmart generic brands work super well!)
Peppermint or Mint flavoring
1. Pour half of the white chips into a glass measuring cup (I use the Pyrex glass cup that hold 2 cups.) Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating interval. When the chocolate is almost melted let it sit for about a minute. The heat inside the container will finish melting the chips. You want to be careful not to get the chocolate too hot.
2. Add 1 cap full of the mint, and about 7 drops food coloring. Stir to incorporate. The chocolate may start to set up a bit when you add these.
3. Add 1 t shortening and stir. The shorting makes the chocolate smooth again and easy to work with.
4. Place a cookie into the chocolate. Using 2 spoons, gently roll the cookie around in the chocolate. Lift the cookie up between the two spoons and gently shake it back and forth allowing some of the chocolate to drip off of the cookie.
5. Place the dipped cookie a cookie sheet lined with WAX PAPER.
6. Once you have used up all of your melted chocolate, melt the other half as directed above (reserving about 1/3 C to drizzle over the oreos.) and dip your other oreos.
7. Drizzle the remainder of the white chocolate over the tops of the cookies.
8. Let the cookies set up. If you are in a hurry you could slide them into your refrigerator. Enjoy!