Time: 15 min prep + 6-8 hours cooking
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe adapted from my dear friend Heather Peterson
3 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
4 C beef broth
1 1/2 C carrots, sliced
1/2 C onion, chopped
1 C green beans, fresh or frozen
1 t basil, dried
1 t oregano, dried
1 t thyme, dried
1 (15 ounce) can Kidney Beans
1 (15 ounce) can Garbanzo Beans
6 C (about 1 1/2 pounds) Italian Meatballs, fully cooked
1 (16 ounce) box Ditalini Pasta, or Elbow Macaroni
1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
1. Into a large crock pot, pour 3 cans Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce.
2. Add 4 C beef broth. (I just dissolved 4 teaspoons beef soup base granules into 4 cups hot water.)
3. Slice 1 1/2 cup carrots, chop yourself 1/2 a cup of onions, and about 1 cup of green beans. Add them to the crock pot.
4. Next you will need 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1 teaspoon oregano. Once you have the seasonings measured out, crush them between your fingers as you add them to the pot. This really maximizes the flavor.
5. Drain and rinse 1 can kidney beans and 1 can garbanzo beans. Add them to the pot.
6. Now for the meatballs! These Italian Style Meatballs from Costco are absolutely fabulous.
Toss about 6 cups of these frozen treasures into your pot. Cover and let the old girl cook on high for 6-8 hours.
7. When your soup has simmered away all day and you are ready to eat, cook the pasta according to package directions.
8. Add 1 can of tomato soup into your crock pot. Give it a nice stir, cover the soup and let it heat through. Your soup should thicken just a bit with the addition of the tomato soup.
9. When you are ready to serve, dish a nice healthy portion of the pasta into each soup bowl then pour the Meatball Minestrone over the top. Garnish with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.