Time: 30 minutes prep + 45 min. baking in the oven or 1 1/2 hours crock pot heating
8 large russet potatoes
1. Wash and peel 8 large russet potatoes.
2. Slice each one in half, down the center. Cut each half into two slices.
3. Chop each of the slices into chunks that are roughly the same size. Don't get a ruler out or anything like that. :) Just watch that they are similar.
4. Place the potato chunks into a large pot and fill it up with hot water. Be sure the potatoes are covered by at least an inch of water.
5. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Should take about 15 minutes.
6. Drain the water from the pot and pour the hot potatoes into your stand mixer. If you don't have a stand mixer, just leave them in the cooking pot and mix them with hand beaters.
7. Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup of milk and salt and pepper to taste. Mix it on slow speed until all ingredients are combined and the potatoes are smooth and delightful. If the potatoes are too thick add some more milk and mix until your desired consistency is reached. Be sure and taste them and add more salt and pepper if you like.
8. Spread the potatoes out into a large casserole dish or into your crock pot, cover the dish and store it in your fridge.
9. When you are ready to use the mashed potatoes, remove them from the fridge and let them rest on the counter for 30 minutes. If you are planning to bake them in the oven, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until heated through. If you are using your crock pot cook them on low for 1 1/2-2 hours (depending on how hot your crock pot cooks things) or until they are heated throughout.
10. Pour 4 tablespoons of melted butter over the hot potatoes. Stir it in with a nice wooden spoon until well incorporated.
Serve and Enjoy!