Time: 20 minutes hands on + overnight refrigeration
Yield: 1 9 inch pie
Recipe from Taste Of Home
1 deep dish pastry shell, baked
1 1/2 C sugar
6 T cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 C water
2 T butter
2 t grated lemon peel
6 drops yellow food coloring
1/2 C fresh lemon juice
Cream Cheese Filling:
12 oz cream cheese, softened (that's code for 1 whole package, and half of another package!)
1 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 C cool whip
1 T fresh lemon juice
1. In a sauce pan combine 3/4 C sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat and add remaining sugar.
3. Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Mine got bubbly pretty quickly. Next time I will let it cook for maybe 30 seconds after it starts to bubble. It ended up being just a slight bit too thin in the end.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, grated lemon peel, and food coloring. Once these are combined gently add the lemon juice. Don't over mix.
5. Cool to room temperature.
6. In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in the cool whip and lemon juice. Keep about 1/2 C in a separate container for the pretty garnish.
7. Spread the remaining cream cheese filling over the bottom of the pastry shell. Be sure the shell is cool and not just out of the oven.
8. Top the pie off with the lemon filling. Chill overnight.