Yield: 10 servings
Time: 30 minutes prep + 45 minutes baking time
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 -16 oz box lasagna noodles
2 -32 oz jars spaghetti sauce (I used 2 quarts of the homemade sauce we canned last fall from our garden tomatoes....oh, the beauty of that sauce. Get some tomatoes planted in the ground....I'll be posting the recipe come August.)
1 pound sausage
1 -15 oz ricotta cheese
2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, whisked up until frothy
1/4 t salt
1/2 t oregano, dried
1 t parsley, dried
1/4 t cracked pepper
1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1. In a large skillet brown your sausage. Drain off the fat and add your spaghetti sauce. Let the fine looking mixture simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. Cook up your lasagna noodles. Pour into a colander and run cool water over the top of them.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine the cheeses (all but 1/2 C of mozzarella), spices and the beaten egg. Mix well with a wooden spoon making sure everything is incorporated well.
4. Now for the layering! Spoon about 1/2 C of your sauce mixture onto the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Layer half of the noodles on top of the sauce, sprinkle with half of your cheese mixture and cover with half of the sauce. Repeat these layer one more time...
5. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 C mozzarella cheese and smile a big pretty smile.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Or at this point you can cover, and put it in the fridge until you are ready to eat. You should plan to cook it for 1 hour if it has been refrigerated.
7. Let the Luscious Mixture from Heaven stand for about 10 minutes before serving. This will allow all the saucy juices to settle. Enjoy!