Time: 15 minutes prep + 1 1/2 hours baking time
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from my good lookin' sister in law Ember Storrs
8 slices bacon
1 small onion
1 3/4 C brown sugar
1/3 C plus 2 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 t dry mustard
1 1/2 t ginger
1 1/2 t salt
1 16 oz can butter beans
1 16 oz can pinto beans
1 16 oz can red kidney beans
1 30 oz can Bush's Homestyle Baked Beans
1. In a large skillet fry up your bacon, until it is crispy and browned along the edges. Remove it from the pan onto a plate lined with paper towels. Discard ALMOST all of the bacon grease. Leave about 1-2 teaspoons in the pan.
2. Toss your onions into the hot pan. Cook until they are golden and wilted.
3. While your onions cook stir together the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, dry mustard, ginger and salt.
4. Pour the sauce over the wilted onions. Let the concoction simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Drain and rinse your butter, pinto and kidney beans.
6. Open up your can of baked beans. Pour the whole can, sauce and all into a 3 quart casserole dish.
7. Add the other beans to the dish. Crumble up your bacon and sprinkle it on top.
8. Pour your saucy-onion-mixture-of-wonder into the dish.
9. Give everything a nice stir.
10. Cover your dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove the dish from the oven, give the beans a stir and put the old girl right back in, uncovered this time. Cook for 30 more minutes. Or, cook them in your Crock Pot on low for 3-4 hours.