Time: 20 minutes hands on + 25 minutes baking
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
1 while cake mix
1 1/4 C water
4 T canola or vegetable oil
3/4 C whipping cream
1 (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C lime juice (bottled is fine)
1 t lime zest
3 drops yellow food coloring
2 drops green food coloring
1 (8 ounce) container cool whip, thawed
1. Find yourself one white cake mix. Toss it into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon of oil and 4 eggs. Mix on low for 1 minute, then scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
2. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and pour your batter in.
3. Bake your cake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. While your cake is baking, pour 3/4 cup whipping cream into your stand mixer or medium sized mixing bowl. Add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup lime juice, 1 teaspoon of lime zest, 3 drops of yellow food coloring and 2 drops of green coloring.
5. Whip all of the ingredients until the mixture is nice and thick. Cover the bowl and let it sit in the fridge until you cake is baked and has cooled completely.
6. When your cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Then take a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the top of the cake with the handle.
7. When the cake has cooled completely spread the filling all over the top of the cake and down through the holes.
8. Place big spoonfuls of cool whip all over the top of the filling and then spread it around with a knife.
9. Zest a bit of lime peel over the top of the cool whip. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Serve and enjoy!