Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up! Biscuit recipe adapted from Julie Thomson
Chicken and Vegetable Gravy:
2 chicken thighs (can be frozen)
1 chicken breast (can be frozen)
1 C celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 C carrots, chopped
1/2 t celery seed
1/2 t poultry seasoning
2 bay leaves
1/4 t thyme
3 chicken bullion cubes
salt and pepper
2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 t yeast
1/4 C warm water
1 C milk
1/2 t vinegar
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 T sugar
6 T butter, cold
1. Place 2 chicken thighs and 1 chicken breast (I used frozen) in a deep skillet.
2. Toss in 1 cup chopped celery, 1 chopped onion and 2 cups chopped carrots.
3. Cover the ingredients with water.
4. Add 1/2 t celery, 1/2 t poultry seasoning, 2 bay leaves, 1/4 t thyme and 3 chicken bullion cubes.Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper into the mix and bring it to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and let the old girl cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. While your chicken is cooking away, make the biscuits! Preheat you oven to 400 degrees.
7. Pour 1/4 cup warm water into a glass measuring cup. Add 1 1/2 t yeast and a dash of sugar. Stir the ingredients together until smooth.
8. Measure out your milk into another glass measuring cup and add 1/2 t vinegar.
9. Into a large bowl combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t baking powder and 1 1/2 t sugar. Just toss them all around to combine.
10. Cut 6 T of cold butter into small pieces.
11. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and use a pastry blender to cut them into each other. You don't want to over mix here. Just mix them until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
12. Pour in the sour milk and the yeast/water mixture.
13. Stir it all around with a wooden spoon until the wet ingredients have mixed in with the dry.
14. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Spoon the biscuit dough onto the sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
15. While your biscuits are cooking away, remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate. Shred it with two forks.
16. Put the lid on the skillet, at an angle and carefully drain the broth from the skillet and into a medium sized bowl. You are going to use about a 1/2 cup of the broth for this recipe. The rest you could freeze for a another use.
17. Toss the shredded chicken back into the skillet, along with 2 cans of cream of chicken soup.
18. Pour about 1/2 a cup of the broth back into the skillet and stir the heavenly concoction to mix everything together. Turn the heat to medium high and let the cream soup heat through. Give it a little taste and add more salt and pepper to your liking.
19. Pour some of the thick, rich and delightful chicken and vegetable gravy into a bowl.
20. Top it with a biscuit or two and serve.