Time: 20 minutes prep + 45 minutes baking
1 pound ground beef
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Into a large hot skillet place 1 pound ground beef, 1 chopped onion and 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top, give it a nice stir and let it brown over medium high heat.
2. When the mixture has browned and the onions are translucent add 1 can of diced mexican stewed tomatoes. If you don't have diced tomatoes, just stick a pair of kitchen scissors into the top of your opened can and snip the tomatoes into chunks.
3. Pour in a can of tomato sauce, green chilis and a can of drained and rinsed black beans.Toss in 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tablespoon of butter. Give everything a nice stir and let the mixture come to a boil allowing all of the ingredients to warm up.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
5. Cover the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 a cup of the saucy filling. Lay 3 tortillas out over the mixture.
6. Cover the tortillas with one-third of the meaty sauce.
7. Cover the sauce with about 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Add three more tortillas, one-third of the meat sauce and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat these layers once more and there you have it, ma'am. (Or sir) A fine-looking casserole fit for hungry parents and children alike.
8. Cover it all up with some tin foil and bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout. Let it sit for 10 minutes once you have taken it out of the oven, then serve.
It's great with Cilantro Lime Rice, lettuce, tomato, chips and salsa.