Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
4 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
4 pineapple rings (more if you like a lot of pineapple)
1 red onion, sliced
4 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
4 slices lettuce, romaine or iceberg lettuce
4 hamburger buns
1. Stoke up your grill, won't you? You want to heat it up until it reaches between 350 and 400 degrees.
3. Drain the juice from the pineapple rings and set them aside.
4. Slice your red onion and the cheese.
5. Carefully lay a medium sized piece of foil over your hot grill. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top and spread it around a bit with a spatula.
6. Lay your chicken out over the top of the oil and sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper. Close the lid to the grill and turn the heat down to low.
7. When the chicken has cooked for about 8 minutes, lay another piece of tinfoil out on the grill. Drizzle olive oil over it, spread the oil around a bit and then lay the onions out over the oil. Sprinkle them with some salt and pepper. Close the grill and let everything cook.
8. When your chicken has cooked almost all the way through, move the onions to one end of the foil they are on, drizzle a little more olive oil on the foil and toss the pineapple rings onto it. Be careful not to let your onions get too dark, you are looking for a nice caramelized golden color...not black. Take the onions off the grill and set them aside when they are done.
9. Once the chicken is browned along the bottoms turn it over and let it get browned on the other side, should only take about 5 more minutes, depending on the heat of your grill and the thickness of the chicken.
10. When the pineapple gets grill marks along the underside (should only take a few minutes), flip them over and brush some of the teriyaki sauce all over them. Keep a close eye on them, so they don't burn. Once the teriyaki sauce has warmed through and caramelized a bit, (really just a minute or two) remove them from the grill.
11. When the chicken is done (it should no longer be pink on the inside), brush each piece with the teriyaki sauce and then cover each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese. TURN THE HEAT TO THE GRILL OFF, and then close the cover. It will stay plenty hot inside allowing the cheese to melt and get bubbly. Once this has been accomplished, remove the chicken to a clean serving plate.
12. Brush both sides of each hamburger bun with teriyaki sauce, add a cheesy chicken piece, a slice of juicy pineapple and some caramelized onions. Place a pretty piece of lettuce on for good measure and there you have it...A Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich of wonder and heavenly bliss.