Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 Devils Food Cake mix + ingredients to make the cake
1 Recipe Butter Cream Frosting
Black and Red Wilton Icing Colors
1 Spiderman on a motorcycle
1. Spray a 2 quart glass bowl or glass measuring cup with cooking spray. This Pampered Chef measuring cup worked really well. It has an 8 cup capacity.
2. Mix your cake up, according to the package directions. Pour the batter into the bowl and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Just check the inside with a toothpick to be sure it's done before you take it out.
3. Invert your cake onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
4. Make up a batch of Buttercream Frosting. Put about 2/3 C in the frosting into a bowl and add about 2 t black food gel. Don't skimp here. It takes a lot to make it really black, and not just a dark gray. Put the black frosting into a Ziploc bag and snip the end of it.
5. Put 1 T of red food coloring gel in the remainder of the frosting. Stir it around to incorporate well. The red will darken after a few minutes. So don't be too worried if it's not the color you want at first. After 10 minutes, if it's not as red as you would like, add more gel.
6. Add a dollop of red frosting to your cake platter. This will help the cake to stick.
7. Put the cake, large side down on the platter. Cover it with the red frosting.
8. Take a toothpick and measure out where you want your web lines to go.
8. Pipe the black frosting along the lines you drew with your toothpick. Then pipe some scallops to form the web, being sure the scallops meet at the lines.
9. Make a black road for Mr. Spiderman.
10. Stick Mr. Spiderdriver on the road.