Time: 20 minutes prep + 1 hour refrigeration
Yield: 1 pie
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 (9 inch) pie crust, unbaked (recipe found here, or purchase one at the store in the freezer section)
1. Whip up your very own homemade pie crust (recipe and tutorial found here), or purchase a premade crust at the store. Poke the crust with a fork, several times over and then pop it into a 400 degree oven and bake it for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let the baked crust cool completely.
2. Turn your oven down to 350 degrees and pour 2 cups of flaked coconut onto a large baking sheet. Pop it in the oven and let the coconut get toasted. Should only take about 5-7 minutes. Stir it with a spatula a couple of times during baking. Just a word of caution here. When coconut gets toasted it lets of some pretty powerful fumes. It smells heavenly, but can be harmfull to the eyes. Be carefull when you open the oven door to stir the coconut. Don't look directly in the oven until the door has been open for a couple of seconds and the fumes have had a chance to waft past you. :)
3. Place 2 small boxes of instand coconut cream pudding into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups whipping cream and 3/4 cup of whole milk. Mix the ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bottom of your mixer with a rubber spatula to be sure all of the pudding mix is incorporated. Then mix on medium speed until the pudding is thick.
4. Add 1/4 teaspoon of Coconut Exract and 1/4 cup sour cream. Mix until just until combined.
5. Spread the filling into the cooled crust making a small mound in the center.
6. Take 1 cup of thawed cool whip and spread it over the pie filling.
7. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the cool whip. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24.
8. Cut and serve.