Time: 30 minutes
1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
1. Into a large pot place 1 bag mini marshmallows and 4 tablespoons of butter. Heat it over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until the butter and marshmallow have melted together and become one. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt. Stir to combine.
2. Pour 6 cups rice krispie cereal into the marshmallow mixture. Stir to combine.Toss in 1 cup of these beautiful red and green m and m's. Green and red are happy colors, wouldn't you agree? Stir them around in your gooey rice krispie treats.
3. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and dump the warm krispie treats onto it. Flatten the treats down and out, and shape them into a square. Mine is about 12 x 12, give or take a centimeter or so.
4. Toss 1 package of white chocolate chips into a small bowl and heat it in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each cooking segment. Be careful not to get the chocolate too hot, it will seize right up on you.
5. Spread the white chocolate over the top of the krispie treats. Allow it to cool and set for about 10 minutes. You can toss the pan into the fridge to cool them quicker.
6. When the chocolate has set up take a sharp knife and cut the treats into squares.
7. Find yourself some of these wonderful candy melts. They have them at Walmart in the cake decorating section. You can also find them at most craft stores. Let me also throw out a word of caution here. Trying to turn regular white chocolate red with food coloring won't work out very well for you. Trust me on this one, guys. I have made some frightningly ugly concoctions trying to dye white chocolate with food coloring. It's best to keep a look out for these candy melts. They come in a lot of great colors. Toss about 1/4 of the bag into a small bowl. Heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each cooking segment until the candy is melted.
8. Toss a small (I used a Wilton #3) cake decorating tip into a pastry bag and fill it with the red, melted candy. You could also use a small ziploc bag to pipe the red melts onto the krispie treats. Just cut a small snip out of the corner of the bag and you will be set.Then decorate however you desire. Let the red candy cool and set up (should only take about 10-15 minutes) and then serve. If you are planning to wrap them and give them away be sure the white chocolate and the red candy is totally set up, other wise you will have a bit of a mess on your hands.