Time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes for chocolate to set
Yield: A 9x9 pan, cut as small or large as you like
Recipe adapted from my lovely treat making sister Alli Bahr
1 C sugar
1 C light corn syrup
1 C peanut butter (I like chunky, though I wish I weren't so chunky)
4 1/2 C rice krispie cereal
1 t vanilla
2 C chocolate chips
1. Pour your rice krispies into a large bowl and set it aside.
2. Into a medium sized sauce pan pour the corn syrup and sugar. Mix it together and bring it to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Let the yummy concoction boil for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat.
3. Add the peanut butter to your sauce pan and mix it all in.
4. Stir in a splash of vanilla.
5. Pour the peanut buttery, sugary concoction of bliss over the top of your rice krispies. Use a wooden spoon to stir it until all of the cereal is coated nicely.
6. Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray and pour the coated cereal into it. Spray your hands with cooking spray and use them to press the peanut buttery goodness to the sides and corners of the pan.
7. Pour your chocolate chips into a glass bowl or measuring cup. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir it. Heat it for another 30....stir it. Heat it again for 30 seconds and stir until smooth. You don't want to get the chocolate too hot, here. It will turn pasty and chalky and all your dreams will crumble into ruins right before your eyes. Just heat it slowly and life will be swell.
8. Pour the chocolate over the top of the yummy cereal and spread it evenly. Pop the whole pan in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes, to allow the chocolate to set up. If the bars are left in the fridge for an extended period of time, they will get a bit hard. Don't worry about it! Leave the pan on the counter until the bars have reached room temperature and the texture will be just perfect.
9. Once the chocolate has set, remove the pan from the fridge and cut into bars.