Time: 15 minutes hands on + 40 minutes baking + time to cool
Yield: 12 large servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 Devils Food Cake Mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
1/3 C flour
1 1/2 C water
1/2 C oil
1 t almond extract
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can cherry pie filling
1 12 oz container of Cool Whip
1 C chocolate chips
1 C sliced almonds, toasted
1. Put your cake mix, pudding and flour into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Stir it around a bit to incorporate.
2. Crack those eggs and add them to the bowl.
3. Pour in the water and the oil and the almond extract.
4. Beat the mixture on low for about 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to be sure all the dry ingredients are getting incorporated well. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until the batter is glossy and smooth.
5. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and pour the batter on in. Spread it around with a knife to make it even along the top.
6. Bake at 350 for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. Immediately after the cake is removed from the oven poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon.
8. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk all over the top of the cake, being sure to fill in the holes. Let the cake cool to room temperature.
9. While the cake cools down toss your almonds into a medium sized skillet. Toast them over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown. Set them aside to cool. 10. Once the cake has cooled spread the cherries on top.
11. Spread the cool whip over the cherries and sprinkle with the chocolate chips and almonds.
12. Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.