Time: 30 minutes
2 T butter
2. Add 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/4 cup chopped red pepper. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent.
3. Add 2 cups of rice. Give it a nice stir to combine and then and allow the rice to cook a bit. You want some of it to turn a beautiful golden brown color. This really enhances the flavor of the rice. Be carefull not to let it burn. We are just looking for some of the grains of rice to turn golden brown. Not all. Just some. :)
4. Add 1 can of tomato sauce and 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth. (I used 3 1/2 cups of hot water with 3 1/2 teaspoons of chicken bullion mixed in).
5. Toss in 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and stir everything together.
6. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan. Allow the mixture to simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes, or until the rice has soaked up the liquid and is no longer crunchy.
7. Sprinkle the rice with a bit of salt and pepper and toss another tablespoon of butter in. Stir it all together to combine.
8. Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1 cup of mexican blend cheese over the top of the rice. (The cheese is optional. If you are looking for a rice dish with less calories, just skip the cheese. It's still super yummy without it.) Cover the pan and let it sit for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Serve and enjoy!