Time: 10 min. prep + 15 min. baking
Yield: 7 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 large crusty loaf of bread
1 C basil pesto
salt and pepper
2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray. Set one large crusty loaf of bread in the center.
2. Slice the bread carefully, without cutting all the way to the bottom of the loaf. Then slice it going the other direction so that you have lots of little 1 inch squares all over the top of the loaf.
3. Grab yourself about 1 cup of pesto, pour it into a small bowl and add just a bit of salt and pepper. I like to buy Pesto at Costco. It will keep for about a month in the fridge. If I don't use it all and the expiration date is approaching, I pour it into and ice cube tray, cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the freezer.
4. Using a butter knife, spread pesto inside the loaf along every sliced part of the bread.
5. Pull the slices apart and push a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded Parmesan cheese into each little crevice.
6. Wrap the bread up in the aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Uncover the bread and allow it remain in the oven until the cheese is melted and a bit golden in color.
7. Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool just a bit before serving.
***NOTE: This bread is best served warm from the oven. However, if you have leftovers store them in the refrigerator and reheat them in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy them.