Time: 20 minutes for the dough + 3-5 hours rising + 15 minutes baking
Yield: 24 butterflake rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
2/3 C warm water
1 T yeast (I use active dry)
1/2 t sugar
4 1/2-5 C flour
2 t salt
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C softened butter, divided
1 C milk
1. Pour the warm water into the bottom of your stand mixer and pour the yeast over the top.
2. Add the 1/2 t of sugar and stir the mixture around a bit, allowing the yeast and sugar to dissolve.
3. Let the mixture sit for five minutes, or until it starts to bubble up a bit.
4. Add two cups of the flour, salt, sugar, eggs
, and 4 T of the softened butter.
5. Let the dough mix for about 1 minute.
6. Heat your milk in the microwave for 1 minute and pour it into the mixer.
7. Turn the mixer on and add the rest of the flour one cup at a time.
You will know that you have enough flour when the dough pulls itself away from the sides of your mixer.
8. Once you have enough flour let the dough mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
9. Spray a large portion of your counter
with cooking spray and set the dough onto it. Shape the dough into an
oval. Let it rest for 5 minutes. This part is important...you won't be
able to roll the dough out well if it hasn't had a chance to sit.
10. Roll the dough into a large rectangle.
11. Spread the remaining butter over the top.
12. With a pizza cutter, cut the dough into quarters.
13. Cut each quarter into thirds.
14. Stack the strips four deep.
15. Cut the stacks into chunks about 2 inches wide.
16. Place a piece of parchment paper onto a
large jelly roll pan, and spray it with cooking spray. Set each little
roll onto the parchment.
17. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Spray the top of the wrap with cooking spray...
then carefully turn it over so that the side you sprayed is touching the dough and wrap the pan securely.
18. Put the pan in your freezer overnight.
19. Once the roll dough is frozen you can
remove them from the pan and place them in a freezer safe Ziploc bag,
and then store it back in the freezer.
When you are ready to use the dough, place as many rolls as you need in
muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover loosely
with plastic wrap..spray the top of the wrap with cooking spray and then
carefully turn it over so the side with the spray is touching the
21. Let the dough rise for about 3-5 hours, or until the dough has risen about 1 inch above the rim of the pan. The dough will rise faster if kept in a warm place.
22. Take the plastic wrap off and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes of until golden brown.