Yield: frosting for 24 cupcakes, or a two layer cake
Time: 10 minutes
Recipe from Wilton passed on by Melanie Kingdon
1/2 C butter flavored shortening
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 t vanilla
3 1/2 - 4 C powdered sugar
1-2 T milk
1. Put your shortening and softened butter in the bottom of a mixing bowl.
2. Add your vanilla and mix well.
3. Add your powdered sugar a little at a time. Add in a bit of milk as you go, as well.
4. The consistency is key here. You want it to be a bit sticky. When you dab your finger into it, the frosting should stick just a bit. If it doesn't stick at all, it's too dry. Add a bit more milk. If the frosting is gooping all over your finger add a bit more powdered sugar.
5. When you have the right consistency, let it mix for a bit longer until it is nice and fluffy-ish. You are good to go!
6. Add your coloring of choice. I will say a word or two about food coloring. If you want vibrant colors you have got to use these Wilton Icing Colors. You'll be able to get a true RED, and a dark BLACK, as well as any other color your little heart desires. They really are wonderful!