Time: 30 minutes prep + 25 minutes to bake
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from the fabulous Alli Bahr
1 T water
1/2 t salt
1 large zucchini
1 C Italian Bread Crumbs
4 chicken breasts
4 T olive oil
4 tomatoes, sliced (garden fresh is best, or purchase them still on the vine)
2 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 T fresh basil, chopped (there is really nothing quite as fabulous as fresh basil here. If you have to use dried only use 1 teaspoon)
1. Crack your egg into a small bowl. Add the water and salt and whip it all up with a fork.
2. Pour the egg mixture into a round pan, or a small square pan would of course be fine. Pour your bread crumbs into another pan. Cut your chicken breasts into strips about 2 inches wide. Dip each piece into the egg, then into the bread crumbs and set aside.
3. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 2 T olive oil. Place your chicken in the pan and cook it on each side for about 5 minutes, or until it's a nice golden brown color. You don't need to worry about cooking it all the way through for this step. We are going to bake it as well.
4. While your chicken is cooking, slice up your zucchini and heat up another skillet. Add your remaining olive oil, and the zucchini to the pan. Throw a bit of salt and pepper on top for good measure. Cook until the zucchini is crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Layer your zucchini, sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle with the fresh basil.
6. Grind a bit of salt and pepper over the top of your veggies.
7. Sprinkle 1 C of mozzarella cheese over the top.
8. Add your browned chicken. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until your chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle the remaining 1 C of mozzarella over the top and return the pan to the oven. Bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Let me give you a little warning here. The bottom of your pan will be full of juice from the tomatoes. Do not be alarmed. Tomato juice is not dangerous. I generally pour the juice off and into the sink. That way any left overs don't end up sitting in it and getting too soggy. It is yum. Super yum!