Time: 30 minutes hands on + 4 hours to chill
Yield: 8 generous servings
Recipe from Devon O'Day in My Southern Recipes
1/3 C cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1 C sugar
4 C evaporated milk (you will need 3 12 oz cans)
4 T butter
2 t vanilla
36 vanilla wafers
5 bananas, sliced
1 16 oz Cool Whip
1. Pour the canned milk into a large measuring cup making sure that you have 4 Cups total. This works out to be just a little bit less than three 12 oz cans.
2. Pour 3 C of the canned milk into a medium sized sauce pan.
3. To the remaining 1 C of milk add the salt...and the cornstarch...and the sugar. Whisk it all around until nice and smooth.
4. Bring the milk in the sauce pan to a boil over medium heat. Add the milk/sugar mixture to the boiling milk and stir constantly as the pudding starts to thicken. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Continue cooking until the pudding is thick. (This took about 8 more minutes of cooking and stirring.) Set the pudding aside and let it cool to room temperature.
6. In a large glass bowl, or trifle dish lay out about half of your vanilla wafers.
7. Cover with half of your
8. Pour half of the pudding over the top and cover with half of the Cool Whip. Repeat the layers. Crumble a few vanilla wafers over the top of the dessert if you choose.
9. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.