Time: 1 hour to mix cut and bake
Yield: about 36 three inch cookies
Recipe from Bake at 350
3 C flour
2 t baking soda
1 C sugar
1 C butter, cold
3/4 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 t pure almond extract
1. Combine the flour and baking soda in a medium sized bowl.
2. In your stand mixer, or with hand held beaters cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and extracts and mix well.
3. Add the flour mixture a little bit at a time and beat just until combined. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
The dough will be a bit crumbly.
4. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead to help it from crumbling all over.
5. Roll out 1/2 of the dough on your floured surface. Cut into what ever cookie shapes your little heart desires. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. (Convection ovens bake at 325 for 7 minutes.) I like sugar cookies to be pretty soft, so I tend to undercook them. I took mine out of the oven when they were just starting to get golden around the edges. They ended up being soft and yummy for several days.
6. Cool on a wire rack.