The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable. - Sun Tzu from The Art of War
Region I Championship Information
The Region I Championship meet is here. This is the last stop before the AA State Championship. The meet will be contested at Culpeper County High School. The team will need to leave bright and early to make this trip.
BAY RIVERS DISTRICT CHAMPIONS!
Jamestown captured the district championship last Thursday at York High School. The ladies managed to win the outdoor championship to accompany their indoor championship from February. The eagles won with a score of 103 to best the tigers from Tabb by 26 points.
The gentlemen garnered several All-District performances to set up some potential medalists at the Region I Championship Meet.
- Shelby Hamm wins the pole vault with a new Bay Rivers District and school record vault of 10 feet
- Tia Mearns wins the 1600 m run and finishes third in the 3200 m run
- Jordan Gravelle wins the 400 meter dash
- Brianna Sutton wins the shot put
- The girls 3200 m relay team of Gaylin Glueck, Devon Mearns, Shannon Bryce, and Tiffany Antognozzi wins the race.
- Amy Pressey places second in the shot put
- The girls' 1600 m relay team of Jordan Gravelle, Emily Mellman, Gaylin Glueck, and Tiffany Antognozzi finishes in second place, just one second away from the school record.
- The boys' 1600 m relay team of Michael Volk, Chris Murdock, Patrick Shannon, and Brendon Mooney places second and betters their time by SIX seconds
Directions for the Bay Rivers District Championship
Below is a PREZI presentation with instructions for the meet and a few words of wisdom from Coach Townsend.
FANCLOTH materials are IN!
If you ordered anything from FANCLOTH, your order has arrived. Please have your student come to Coach Townsend so that he can give the merchandise to them. They look great!
Bay Rivers District Information
For the ladies, the future is now! The eagles can win the district tournament, but EVERY point will count. Similar to the indoor season, this meet could be decided on the final event. Everyone must be prepared to push themselves to a higher level!
Last Regular Season Meet of the Year!
Believe it or not, the regular season comes to a close on Tuesday, May 8th at Bruton High School. Jamestown will compete against Bruton, Lafayette, and Tabb in this final meet. The bus will leave the school at 2:45 pm. The students should be at the school at 2:30 pm.
The Ladies Finish in Second at the Gloucester Invitational!
Armstrong narrowly escaped with a five point margin of victory. The boys finished in fourth place and showed many signs of forward progress!
- Jordan Gravelle, Victoria Dodd, and Emily Derse go 2, 4, and 6 in the 200 m dash.
- Jordan Gravelle runs a new personal record and wins the 400 m dash (in training shoes!).
- Tiffany Antognozzi, Devon Mearns, and Gaylin Glueck go 1, 2, and 3 in the 800 m dash!
-Tia Mearns wins the 1600 m run.
- Hayley Simonsen, Madison Kopfer, and Lauren Simonsen go 3, 4, and 5 in the 3200 m run.
- Emily Mellman wins the 300 m dash.
- Brianna Sutton wins the shot put.
- Girls' 1600 m relay (Antognozzi, Glueck, Mellman, Gravelle) wins.
- Daivon Turner runs under 12 in the 100 m dash with a 11.98.
- Patrick Shannon and Daniel Moniak finish second and third in the 800 m dash.
- Andrew Richards finishes in 3rd place in the 3200 m run.
- Derrell Walker jumps 19' 01" in the long jump
Meet Information Sheets for the Busy Week!
This week, the eagles will compete in two meets. The first will be at Bailey Field at York High School. This meet is a REGIONAL Qualifier. Lafayette, York, and Tabb will be competing against Jamestown. The meet information sheet can be found below. Students, make sure you have a copy of this information so that you know what is happening during the meet.
The second meet will be Jamestown's last invitational of the season, the Gloucester Invitational. This meet will be contested on FRIDAY. Students will leave JHS at 1:00 pm. The meet is only one day and is on FRIDAY to accomodate students taking the S.A.T. on Saturday.
Eagles Soar Above the Rain at the Milestat.com Invitational
While the Milestat.com Invitational did not have the most ideal conditions, Jamestown competed very well. Please see the pictures on the Picture/Media page of the website. The link can be found on the left side of the page.
- Brianna Sutton state qualifies in the shot put with a toss of 37' 00.50".
- The 3200 meter relay team of Shannon Bryce, Tia Mearns, Gaylin Glueck, and Devon Mearns bettered their state qualifying time to 9:51.32.
- Devon Mearns breaks the school record in the 2000 meter steeplechase with a second place finish time of 7:55.14.
- Tia Mearns breaks her own school record in the 3200 meter run with a time of 11:44.21.
- D.J. Moniak ran a regional qualifying time in the 1600 meter run with a time 4:37.76.
- Andrew Richards ran a new personal record of 4:47.70 in the 1600 meter run.
- Patrick Shannon a regional qualifying time in the 800 with a new personal record of 2:03.03.
More information to come on Monday!
Jamestown Gears Up for a Week with TWO Meets!
This week will be a busy one for the eagles. The team will travel to Poquoson High School to compete in a quad-meet against the host school, New Kent, and Bruton high schools. The meet information sheet can be found below.
The Milestat.com Invitational will be contested on Friday and Saturday of this week. This is the BIGGEST meet in Virginia, so the competition should be good. Additionally, the Sportsbacker's Stadium in Richmond is one of best tracks around Virginia. Make sure to arrive on time to make sure we get to Richmond with enough time to progress through our warm up routine. The meet information sheet can be found below.
Warhill Regional Qualifier Meet Information
This week will be a busy one for the eagles. On Wednesday, the team will travel to Warhill High School to compete at the Regional Qualifier Meet. On Saturday, the team will travel to Lee-Davis High School to compete in their invitational. Finally, many of the juniors and seniors will dance the night away on Saturday at the prom.
The meet information sheet for the Warhill meet can be found below. On Tuesday, the meet information sheet will be posted for the Lee-Davis Invitational. With this week being so busy, everyone needs to focus on getting their work done. A loss of focus now, can make your life difficult in the coming weeks.
Lee-Davis Invitational Information Sheet (Coming Tuesday...)
The Bruton Tri-Meet Shakes Off the Rust of Spring Break
Jamestown competed well at Bruton High School. Despite the cooler temperatures, the eagles managed to win several events:
The girls' 3200 meter relay team of Gaylin Glueck, Tia Mearns, Shannon Bryce, and Tiffany Antognozzi crossed the line first for the eagles.
Emily Mellman continued her success in the 300 m intermediate hurdles for the win.
Jordan Gravelle finished hard for the win in the 400 m dash.
The girls' 1600 meter relay team of Jordan Gravelle, Devon Mearns, Tiffany Antognozzi, and Emily Mellman won the event.
Tia Mearns broke the school record in the 3200 m run. The old record was 11:48.84 and was owned by current Jamestown English teacher, Chrissie Wilson.
Chris Murdock won gold in the 400 meter dash to welcome his return to racing.
D.J. Moniak pushed the pace in the middle of the 800 meter dash for the win.
The boys' 3200 meter relay team of Patrick Shannon, Nate Allred, Gabe Modzelewski, and Matt Reynolds won.
The boys' 1600 meter relay team of Patrick Shannon, Trent Williamson, Jaden Bills, and Chris Murdock finished strong for the win.
Follow Jamestown Track and Field on TWITTER!
Coach Townsend has created a twitter account for the JHS track and field and cross-country teams. With this resource, the coaching staff can "tweet" live results from meets and let all affiliates of JHS running and field events know about practices and upcoming information.
FOLLOW Jamestown Track and Field and Cross-Country @jamestowntf.
Bruton High School Quad-Meet Information
The eagles will return to action on April 11th at Bruton High School to compete against the home school, Grafton, and York high schools. Students should arrive at the school at 3:00 pm so that the bus can leave at 3:15 pm. The meet information sheet can be found by following the link provided below. After a productive Spring Break, the coaching staff is excited to see how the eagles compete.
FanCloth Has Your Eagle Gear for the Outdoor Track and Field Season
FanCloth created a sales catalog for the track and field team. This company has a great track record (pun intended) of delivering good quality team apparell. Additionally, for every garment sold, Jamestown will receive money from the company. So, buy some t-shirts and sweatshirts for the family and friends because not only will you look good at meets representing JHS, but you will be supporting the track and field team with the needed resources.
If you have not seen or received the team catalog, please contact Coach Townsend at Townsendh@wjcc.k12.va.us to get one.
This fundraiser will end on March 15th. Please make checks payable to JAMESTOWN HIGH SCHOOL.
The Season Is Set to Begin!
The outdoor track and field season is ready to begin. Over the next few weeks, the coaching staff will be releasing important information about the upcoming season. The outdoor school records have been updated. Additionally, the "Outdoor T&F Rules/Guidelines" have been updated. Finally, the meet schedule for this season has the current information. This website is a great tool for parents and students to use for information about the JHS outdoor track and field team. Here is some important information about the start of the season.
1. The first day of practice will be February 29th at 2:35 pm at the Jamestown High School track.
2. The team will have an informational meeting on Thursday, February 23rd at 2:30 pm in room 213. The meeting should last about 30 minutes.
3. In order to try out for the team, you must have a sports physical on file with the athletic director, Coach Don Samuels.