Have you heard of the term "Web 2.0" but wondered what exactly does it
have to do with teaching and learning? This session will explain what
Web 2.0 is and review Web 2.0 technologies that can be
incorporated to develop an engaging learning experience for students.
Recommended best practices will be shared for incorporating Web 2.0
- Discuss what Web 2.0 is
- Explain what RSS is and how it saves time and allows for the development of community
- Discuss the use of blogs, wikis, and podcasts in an educational context
- Review other common Web 2.0 technologies and their uses in education
- Brainstorm recommendations for effectively incorporating Web 2.0 into teaching and learning
What is Web 2.0?
Common Web 2.0 Technologies:
The following common Web 2.0 technologies have broad applications for instruction. Each topic is a link to a separate wiki page containing additional information, links, etc.
- Social Bookmarks
- Synchronous Communications (chat, presentations, etc.)
Recommendations for Effectively Incorporating Web 2.0 into Teaching and LearningTo add to this list, send your recommendations via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @jrhode or share a video comment here.
- Keep your instructional objectives in mind
- Know your audience and your students
- Even if the tool is easy to use and implemented in your learning management system, how will you assess use of Web 2.0
- Provide Web 2.0 as an option for student presentations, assignments, etc.
- Use the best tool for your learning objectives
Last Updated: 4/21/2009