Currently I am a Scientist (Fellow) at CSIR-Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology, Bhubaneswar. The institute comes under the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) which is controlled under the ambit of Govt. of India through Department of Scientific & Industrial Research (DSIR). I have been engaged here in the research field of Discrete Element Method (DEM), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and their coupling.
I am a 2012 batch pass-out from Department of Fuel and Mineral Engineering at Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, which is an allied school under the Indian Institute of Technology-JEE consortium. Pursued there the 5 year-Dual Degree course which included the award of the degree of Bachelor in Technology in Mineral Engineering and the degree of Master of Technology in Mineral Resource Management. Mentioned course aims to produce excellence with the knowledge of Mineral Engineering and specialization in management of mineral resources with inclusion of subjects of MBA.
My research interests are Mineral Processing operations analysis with advance simulators and Discrete element method (DEM) simulations. Both these provides extended capability to serve the industry by adding better economic value to resources, reducing retention time. My M.Tech thesis is on Discrete Element Method under Prof. B.K. Mishra (Director, IMMT) and Prof. R. Venugopal (Dean R&D, ISM Dhanbad).
I am an enthusiastic and hard working fellow who believes in putting efforts to achieve goals. Also, I was a Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) [English: Junior Scientist Promotion Scheme] through Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, India. Fellowship designated me Junior Scientist and provided a recommendation letter addressing to all Indian research centers and institutes to provide me with extended facility for research on compulsory basis. Also, 2500 USD (approx.) research stipend was granted by KVPY every year.
"Interdisciplinary approaches are the strongest tool to solve any engineering or scientific problem."
Curriculum Vitae can be found here
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Mineral Resource Management from Indian School of Mines
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Mineral Engineering from Indian School of Mines
- Computer application in Mineral Engineering
- Particle Breakage and Bulk flow studies with DEM-CFD coupling
- Data Mining and interpretation of unit operations
for more animations relevant to my projects.
- Budding Innovators Award' 2010: 1st prize (worth 2000 USD) for designing Self-Automated Mechanical Solar Tracking Device in pertinence to green technology from National Research Development Corporation, New Delhi.
- Techfest’2010, IIT Bombay: 3rd prize (worth 500 USD) for demonstrating self-designed Peanut Decorticator.
- Great Step'2008, Department of Mining Engineering, IIT Kharagpur: 2nd prize (worth 100 USD) for overnight design of coal/ore elevator as an Industrial design problem (IDP).
For more details on awards and achievements click here.
- M.Tech thesis: Review on Discrete Element Method
- A novel approach of modeling and simulation of grinding environment. Soni, R. K., Eswaraiah, C., Mishra, B. K., Powder Technology
- Milling and Classification of Printed Circuit Boards for Material Recycling . Eswaraiah, C., Soni, R. K., Sakthivel, R., Particulate Science & Technology
- Dead-zone formation studies in drum mixers. Soni, R.K., Mohanty, R., Mohanty, S., Mishra, B.K.
- Studies on the effect of electrostatic plate position and temperature on tribo-electric separation of Indian coking coal. Advance Powder Technology.
- Theory and applications of Discrete Element Method. B.K. Mishra, R.K. Soni
- Submitted paper titled "Evaluation of Model Parameters on Breakage Characteristics". C. Eswaraiah, R.K. Soni, B.K. Mishra. International Mineral Processing Congress (IMPC-2012), New Delhi
- Presented paper titled "Determination of Single Particle Comminution Characteristics by Drop Weight Test". R. K. Soni, C. Eswaraiah, S. K. Behera, B. K. Mishra. International Seminar of Mineral Processing Technology (MPT-2010), Jamshedpur, India
- Invited/Selected paper titled "Development of A Low Cost Peanut Decorticator for use in Developing Countries" A. Mishra, R. Soni and J. Mangla at Synergy Technical International Conference-2009, Godollo, Hungary
- "Development of A Low Cost Peanut Decorticator for use in Developing Countries" A. Mishra, R. Soni, J. Mangla. IP India office, App. No. 1422/Kol/2009, Listed for Examination on 09/03/2013.
- "Development of An Improved Bottles/Cans Filling Machine" R. Soni, K. D. Pany. IP India office, App. No. 705/Kol/2009, Applied on 06/05/2009.
- "A Self-Automated Mechanical Solar Tracker Device" A. Soni, R. Soni, IP India office, App. No. 1158/MUM/2012, Listed for Examination on 19/02/2013.
CSIR-Institute of Minerals & Materials Technology
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
Bhubaneswar-751 013, India
Ph: 0091 674 237 9263