Zahurul's Web Space
Since February 2011, I am working as Research Associate at Department of Text Technology, Institut für Informatik, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main. I am also a registered PhD student in the Institut für Informatik and expecting to defense my PhD on December 2013. Before joining here, I had been working as a Graduate Researcher at Dipartimento di Informatica, University of Pisa in a Machine Translation project. I have finished European Masters in Language and Communication Technology (EM-LCT) from Department of Computational Linguistics, University of Saarland and Faculty of Arts, University of Groningen.
MA in Linguistics (October, 2007 to August, 2009)
University of Groningen, The Netherlands
BSC in Computer Science, 2005
BRAC University, Bangladesh
Machine Learning, Digital Humanities, Statistical Alignment, Machine Translation and Natural Language Processing. My special interests in Machine Learning based NLP application.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Recipient of Erasmus Mundus Scholarship for studying masters in University of Saarland and University of Groningen.
- I was awarded High Distinction award of the university in the year 2006 for attaining a high CGPA in the Computer Science and Engineering Department.
- Recipient of Merit based scholarship from BRAC University in undergraduate program for maintaining good CGPA.
- Md. Zahurul Islam, Jörg Tiedemann and Andreas Eisele, English to Bangla Phrase – Based Machine Translation, In the Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference of The European Association for Machine Translation. Saint-Raphaël, France, 27-28 May 2010.
- Gosse Bouma, Sergio Duarte and Md. Zahurul Islam, Cross-lingual Alignment and Completion of Wikipedia Templates, In the Proceedings of Third International Workshop on Cross Lingual Information Access: Addressing the Information Need of Multilingual Societies (CLIAWS3), Boulder, Colorado, USA, June 4, 2009
- Md. Zahurul Islam, Md. Nizam Uddin and Mumit Khan, A Light Weight Stemmer for Bengali and Its Use in Spelling Checker, In the Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Digital Communications and Computer Applications (DCCA2007), Irbid, Jordan, March 2007. Paper:[PDF], [DOC]
- Munshi Asadullah, Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, Error-tolerant Finite-state Recognizer and String Pattern Similarity Based Spell-Checker for Bengali, In the Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON) as a poster,Hyderabad, India, January 2007.Paper:[ PDF ]
- Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, JKimmo: A Multilingual Computational Morphology Framework for PC-KIMMO,In the Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT 2006), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 2006.Paper:[ PDF ] [ DOC ] Software [[View ]
- Tofazzal Rownok, Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, Bangla Text Input and Rendering Support for Short Message Service on Mobile Devices, In the Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT 2006), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 2006.Paper:[ PDF ] [ DOC ]
- Yeasir Arafat, Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, Analysis and Observations From a Bangla news corpus, In the Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT 2006), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 2006.Paper:[ PDF ] [ DOC ]
- Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, Teaching Compiler Development to Undergraduates using a Template Based Approach, In the Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT 2005), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 2005.Paper:[ PDF ]
Md. Zahurul Islam and Mumit Khan, Bangla Verb Morphology and a Multilingual Computational Morphology FrameWork for PC-KIMMO, In the Proceedings of Workshop on Morpho - Syntactic Analysis by the School of Asian Applied Natural Language Processing for Language Diversity and Language Resource Development (ADD), Bangkok, Thailand, March 2007. Abstract [PDF]
- Md. Zahurul Islam, English to Bangla Phrase-Based Statistical Machine Translation , Masters Thesis, University of Saarland and University of Groningen, August 2009, Supervisors: Dr. Andreas Eisele, DFKI Saarbrucken and Dr. Jorg Tiedemann, University of Groningen. Status: ongoing
- Md. Zahurul Islam, Code Generation for JVM .NET and MIPS Targets from Subset of C Language, Undergraduate Thesis (Computer Science), BRAC University, May 2005. Supervisor: Mumit Khan
- CRBLP Converter:An open source Bangla ASCII text to Unicode text conversion tool. [details] [download]
- JKimmo: An open source muiltilingual computational morphology framework for PC-KIMMO[details] [download]
- BanglaPad: An open source, platform independent, Unicode rich text editor, capable of editing Bangla and English [details] [download]
- C Minus (C-): A compiler framework for teaching Compiler Design course to Undergraduates in BRAC University, Bangladesh
Lab Instructor (Part- time) for Compiler Design Course, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, BRAC University; Fall2005 - Summer 2007.
Teaching Assistant, Operating System, BRAC University, Spring 2004
Teaching Assistant, Programming Language II (C++), BRAC University, Fall 2003